Putting things in perspective

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave70 said:
Look up the double slit experiment.

I dunno. I imagined the idea was in the vein of we're constantly moving through space, we're never actually stationary. Perhaps the floor is rising to meet the ball / feathers?
I'm not much of a theoretical physicists I'm afraid. Still cant get my head around the fact that though I stand here apparently upright, I'm actually varying between 120 and 300 deg over a 24 hour period on a sphere rotating at give or take 450 meters per second. And the yet the blood rushes not to my head.
Whats up with that??

Ah yes - Pigds head on a stick!

You can look at it so simply how Einstein meant it. The ball and feather are attached to the frame which is fixed to the structure which is fixed to the Earth which is spinning, orbiting the Sun and traversing outwards in the solar system or inwards whichever it is based on how space and our solar system are expanding. So when you detach them with no other molecules around them they are in fact like an object stationary in space, so I'd see that as the floor moving towards the feather and ball.

Also with your comment on not feeling your blood move is our bodies are built to withstand the forces on Earth the way they are relative to the Universe, hence you age differently and get less tired on the Moon doing the same activity, different relative forces acting on you relative the the Universe.

It's all wonderful stuff, although as fascinating as it is and how much I enjoy it, the underlying fact drawing to realisation of our own insignificance can be deflating. Hence why I brew and drink beer!!!!!

manticle said:
Get inside the reality sandwich man. It's a quantum thingamyjiggle.
I believe the correct term is Q.Thingamabob

DJ_L3ThAL said:
You can look at it so simply how Einstein meant it. The ball and feather are attached to the frame which is fixed to the structure which is fixed to the Earth which is spinning, orbiting the Sun and traversing outwards in the solar system or inwards whichever it is based on how space and our solar system are expanding. So when you detach them with no other molecules around them they are in fact like an object stationary in space, so I'd see that as the floor moving towards the feather and ball.

Also with your comment on not feeling your blood move is our bodies are built to withstand the forces on Earth the way they are relative to the Universe, hence you age differently and get less tired on the Moon doing the same activity, different relative forces acting on you relative the the Universe.

It's all wonderful stuff, although as fascinating as it is and how much I enjoy it, the underlying fact drawing to realisation of our own insignificance can be deflating. Hence why I brew and drink beer!!!!!

Console yourself with the fact that we started out knuckle dragging ape cousins with nothing but rocks, dirt and sticks as our raw materials. Now we're smashing particles to bits in the LHC to discover the origins of the cosmos.
We're pretty ******* awesome as a species goes. Still continue to brew and drink beer, but in celebration of mankind's awesomeness!

My Mazda2 had just done enough Km to circumnavigate the planet four times. So far it's only cost me, in repairs, two batteries and six tyres.

Go back in your time machine even just 400 years (an eye blink in history) and tell that story and you'd quickly get burned at the stake.

Dave70 said:
Smart move. Seeing as the even brief exposure to Gods universe without the benefit of a space suit will see one's eyes boil out of their skull and leave you floating around looking like Wonkas Veruca Salt due from cyanosis, hypoxia and your blood vaporizing.
God reminds me of a benevolent overseer with a splatter film director bent at times..

If I were il duce, The Meaning Of Life, The Life Of Brian and Orwells Animal Farm would be cornerstones in every primary school curriculum. Would nip many a bad idea in the bud I reckon.
Life of Brian and Animal Farm were taught to us in the US. Lord of the Flies as well.

I'm a big fan. I have a fly with a crown tattooed on my shoulder. There's more to it than a literary reference, but that's were the idea came from.

Austin-Shoulder.jpg

Mr Wibble said:
Nah, I don't buy that. It's a similiar argument about the sound of a tree falling if no-one is there to hear it.

It smacks too much of that joke about ...
Q: How does <can't remember> change a light-bulb -
A: She just holds it and the world rotates about her.

No, it doesn't. The lack of an observer doesn't change the process, nor outcome.
I think Einstein was having a joke, at his observers' expense.

-kt
Sound is based on reception. If no one is around to hear it, it doesn't make a sound.

wide eyed and legless said:
If I were il duce, The Meaning Of Life, The Life Of Brian and Orwells Animal Farm would be cornerstones in every primary school curriculum. Would nip many a bad idea in the bud I reckon.
You can't leave out Lord of the flies from that list.
​According to Cox'y there are infinitesimal Universes beyond our own, did they all start at the same time?
No. Universes have multiple origins.

Latest posts

Back