Pumps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan 117

Reaction score
Hey Guy's,

Did a bit of googling today looking at pumps for wort and counterflow water etc. Just wondering if someone could tell me what qualities to look for in a good pump. I only do 25L batches and cant see myself doing much more than that anytime soon. Also not wanting to spend more than $200.

Cheers

Aaron

the short and long of it is - a March Pump is the way to go and you wont find much for under $200, but I stand to be corrected. Check one of the sponsors above for prices like this one

Cheers

Sully

the short and long of it is - a March Pump is the way to go and you wont find much for under $200, but I stand to be corrected. Check one of the sponsors above for prices like this one

Cheers

Sully

Black goes with anything. And you don't want anything bigger than a 4 inch heel! :D

As Sully says, the March pumps are hard to beat. I've used 2 of them now for near on 2 years. My only dislike of them is the drop in flow rate when loaded with reistance on the outlet. That's not a concern for most home brewers though.

Just wondering if someone could tell me what qualities to look for in a good pump
Preferably a magnetically coupled pump, with food grade material head, and impeller parts. Shaft driven can be used, but again watch out for shaft seal material being food grade. A decent flow rate and hydrostatic head, and usable port sizes. If you intend to pump boiling liquids make sure the pump is rated for it.

I spent about $200 trying various 'cheaper' solutions. I don't think you can get anything much cheaper that is suitable without a fluke win on ebay or something.

12v could be a pain in the arse and it doesnt state temp rating so id day prob not suitable for hot wort.

Looks like a flexible impeller type of unit, most impellers are natural rubber and that can start to breakdown over 80oC, probably wouldn't last all that long and vulcanised rubber tastes like shit.

MHB

Back