Pump Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
Finally going to buy a pump. I've read a number of articles on home brewing pumps. I understand it needs to be food grade, heat resistant to temperatures up to 100C, and easy to clean. It seems many brewers have opted for a magnetic drive pump, is there any specific reason for this, is it so you can control the flow with a valve on the out side, or is there another reason?

Cheers
Mark

Mark

Control the pump with a valve on the inlet only - much better.
I bought an Indra Water Fountain pump as per Graeme Saunders post.
He has been using one for 10 years.

Cost of 64.00 from creative fountains down near Marion and South rd.
This pump has optional inlet fittings - got mine with 1/2 inch inlet and 1/2 outlet.
No adjust on the pump - only by using the ball valve on the outlet from the mash tun - inlet to the pump.

Note:
Have not set up the HERMES system yet...
Grumpy Thomas put me onto this pump...he uses one also...

Hope this helps.

GMK said:
Control the pump with a valve on the inlet only - much better.
Hi

Sorry, I disagree with this :( . You should always control a pumps flow on the outlet side. If you block the inlet you may cause cavitation in the pump and if you are using hose, it will suck the hose in as it cannot suck in liquid.

I use the March 809-PL-HS pump (as do two others in Adelaide) which is a plastic compound housing. March recommended using this and not brass for handling hot wort . It is rated to 250F which is higher than you will ever need.

Cheers
Pedro

I design pumps for water supply wells as part of my job and I vote with Pedro. Put a valve on the outlet and slow the flow by increasing the head the pump works against.

part of my job.i fix the bloody wonderful industrial/mining range of pumps and i whole heartedly agree.reduce the outlet flow and not the inlet.you should see large and i mean large pumps cavitate when the flow is restricted.cant run fast enough. ;)

So you guys are saying that by restricting the outlet - the pump is working really hard to push the liquid through against the restriction.

I thought this is no good....

Would this not result in over heating and other problems.

I am happy to learn - but it still makes no sense to me.

In the words of Queenslanders..." Please Explain"

Latest posts

Back