Pt100 Probes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

mmmmmm...... BEEEER
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has the cheap PT100 probes from HK/China etc from ebay and their thoughts on them? I am a bit dubious about them. To buy an equivalent locally the prices are ranging from $50 and up.

Cheers

Sully

Just wondering if anyone has the cheap PT100 probes from HK/China etc from ebay and their thoughts on them? I am a bit dubious about them. To buy an equivalent locally the prices are ranging from $50 and up.

I have been using two for a couple of months now. Had to calibrate them but they have been fine so far.....
John

Sully

I use a couple of these and a couple of probes I have sourced from my instrumentation supplier.

The main diffrence is the level of finish. The cheap Hong Kong ones were only two wire and about 15mm long sheath. I converted them to three wire and generaly use them "in flow" encased in resin.

As far as the accuracy goes, there are far greater variables in the measurment of temperature then the accuracy of the sensor. If they look like they would suit your purposes then they will be fine. Just check against a known thermometer before use.

Regards Derrick

Morning Sully,

I ended up using the eBay seller 'Procon-Products' for mine. I bought three, and requested the flyleads be extended to 3m to give me more flexibility in the brewery. Wasn't a problem at all, just cost a few dollars more.

Check them out.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Procon-Products

No affiliation etc.

Cheers

Cheers for the replies Fellas.

I have seen the Procon units so might give them a go. Goldstar how are yours fitted?

Cheers

Sully

For my system I used a 1/2" female T, a 1/2" end cap that I drilled and tapped to 8mm to match the thread of the probe. Just needed a wrap of ptfe tape to fully seal. The probe extends along the current flow of the wort leaving my HERMS. Works a treat.

It looks like this:

IMAG0314_1.jpg

Cheers Goldstar, looks the good.

Sully

A bit late but also bought a cheapy off ebay for the RIMS tube. Works a treat after initial calibration too.

I use a compression fitting and a rubber washer which seals watertight nicely.

I bought 3k types of eBay from Hong Kong can't fault them at all still going strong
Franko

So I have ended up buying the Procon units. Are they easy enough to calibrate?

Thanks for the replies :icon_cheers:

Calibration will be done through the settings of your PID (or similar unit). It was relatively simple on my unit even with limited manual instructions iirc...

Latest posts

Back