Protein Rest With Galaxy Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay

Reaction score
I'm planning a brew tomorrow with pretty much 50/50 Marris Otter and Galaxy and was thinking of a short protein rest at 52*C to try and get rid of the chill haze I always seem to get.

Is this a good idea with Galaxy? I've never used it before (or done a protein rest for that matter).

cheers
clay

I wouldn't think Galaxy would be the cause of your chill haze problem!? I use it quite a lot and never had any haze issues.

dunno about the galaxy but i've read that a short protein rest helps haze problems with MO

From recent experience I would just for the MO alone!
There's a real problem with this malt at the moment. <_<
Dont think I'll be bothering with it anymore.
As for the galaxy I've never encountered any problems with it.

Cheers
BB

"protein rest at 52*C to try and get rid of the chill haze I always seem to get."

Are you boiling the bum out of the wort??

I mean a good strong rolling boil (50mm+ leaps from the wort), since you mentioned you ALWAYS have haze issues...

A soft boil/simmer will cause haze issues too

Not knowing how you are set up but if you want a 50 step for the Marris Otter using infusion mashing what about:
Just MO in tun first.
Add water at right ratio and temp for pro rest for MO only.
Rest
A balance of malt (Galaxy)
Add more water at right temp and ratio to raise for main mash step.
Rest
Then carry on as norm.

- Luke

Thanks for the replys guys.

Linz, Yes I do boil the bum out of it (though I've only done a handfull of AGs)

Luke, your suggestion may be the way to go.

Cheers all

Are you sure its chill haze and not some other sort of haze? I have had tannin haze from MO before.

Berp.

Hey Berp, whats tannin haze and how does it differ from chill haze which is formed from proteins and polyphenols (tannins)?

Hey Berp, whats tannin haze and how does it differ from chill haze which is formed from proteins and polyphenols (tannins)?

Tannin haze don't disappear when the beer's warm. ;)

Berp.

mine is clear as when its warm so its definately chill haze. I dont seem to get it in wheats (no MO) as the older ones are quite clear once the yeast settles out. I'm assuming its the MO I use in the ales.

I'm mashing as I type. Did a protien rest at 50*C and am mashing now at 65*C. will be interesting to see the difference

clay

mine is clear as when its warm so its definately chill haze. I dont seem to get it in wheats (no MO) as the older ones are quite clear once the yeast settles out. I'm assuming its the MO I use in the ales.

I'm mashing as I type. Did a protien rest at 50*C and am mashing now at 65*C. will be interesting to see the difference

clay
Hi Clay

I've been getting chill haze in most of my AG's. Use weyermann pils as base malt for lagers and Barrett Burston pale Ale for other beers. Also having probs with poor head retention lately - which is a new problem. Not sure if both are connected.

I am going to try protein rest for my next pils. Be interested to see how you go.

cheers
Jimmy

Hi Clay

I've been getting chill haze in most of my AG's. Use weyermann pils as base malt for lagers and Barrett Burston pale Ale for other beers. Also having probs with poor head retention lately - which is a new problem. Not sure if both are connected.

I am going to try protein rest for my next pils. Be interested to see how you go.

cheers
Jimmy

G'day Jimmy

Now that you mention it my head retention has been a bit disapointing lately too. Never seemed to be a problem when I was doing partials.

G'day Jimmy

Now that you mention it my head retention has been a bit disapointing lately too. Never seemed to be a problem when I was doing partials.

I find the issue of Protein Rest pretty confusing. Most references seem to indicate that modern malts are well modified and dont need it. But I have looked at other issues like mash pH and boil and not resolved the problem. I boil vigorously for 90mins and use pH Stabiliser. I also use Koppafloc in the boil. Have tried gelatine in the secondary to no avail.

I have considered the grain crush but I am pretty sure it is OK.

I find the issue of Protein Rest pretty confusing. Most references seem to indicate that modern malts are well modified and dont need it. But I have looked at other issues like mash pH and boil and not resolved the problem. I boil vigorously for 90mins and use pH Stabiliser. I also use Koppafloc in the boil. Have tried gelatine in the secondary to no avail.

I have considered the grain crush but I am pretty sure it is OK.

Sounds like were doing the same things. I read in another thread that a protein rest can help with haze. I think Tony said he used a 52* rest and never has an issue with haze, even with a short boil.

clay

Back