Protecting From Light In Ferment Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Reaction score
I have a lamp in my ferment fridge attached to tempmate for my heat supply. I know some people protect their fermenters with towels etc to avoid lightstrike- i was thinking of putting some tinfoil or something over the lamp. Just wanted to see how others do it, as i dont want to start a fire... I thought i might blu-tack (or something) tinfoil over the lamp (avoiding contact with the actual bulb), but i dont know if blu-tac would go ok if the light was on for a sustained period. Also not sure if the tinfoil would somehow stop the heat from circulating in the fridge...

Any tips would be appreciated,

Stef

can you lay your hands on a small clay pot or the like?

put the lamp on a plate and sit the pot upside down over it, the heat will get through.

Yob

tin foil wrapped around the bulb should be fine, don't use any blue tac. it is very conductive so heat should go straight through.

What sort of bulb and where is it? Although heating is the last of my worries hereabouts I have read that many guys on the forum have success popping an old fashioned light bulb under a terra cotta garden pot. Also can't you get special "dark" bulbs for raising chicks under or would they be too hot?

yob beat me to it.

tin foil wrapped around the bulb should be fine, don't use any blue tac. it is very conductive so heat should go straight through.
Just be careful how you do this...i used one of the new "eco" globes that are old Skool in look but have a halogen lamp inside them....
The foil was touching the globe only...
Went out to find that the globe had heated the plastic collar around the light fitting to the point that it melted it...and consequently stuffed it...
Maybe a towel or a terracotter pot plant would work better ?
Cheers
Ferg

its kind of a desk lamp. At the moment just got it sitting on the reinforced shelf that the fermenters sit on (facing away). Will try to find a biggish pot that will do the trick. Cheers

Lightstrike is caused by UV light reacting with hop compounds as far as I'm aware. a standard Tungsten globe won't throw out UV light so there should be no need to cover the lamp.

Interestingly I have had my fermenters on the bench in the open in my laundry before for significant periods of time. the laundry gets direct afternoon sun which did hit fermenters at times late afternoon (once I realised I covered the fermenter but it was days uncovered) and I didn't have a skunking issue.

There was a good article on the science behind lightstrike int he Jan/Feb BYO mag this year if you want o read up on it.

Stay right away from the lamp. Dont cover it, dont alter it. Cover your fermenter. Wrap foil around the fermenter. Its cheap and no light will get through.

I have learnt the hard way that messing with things that get hot (WHILST UNATTENDED) is just not a good idea.

I even check on my boil every few mins while brewing - high voltage or flame left unattended is never good.

Just wondering on the clay pot covering idea, would there be any merit to using a cheap bedside lamp (say from target or something) and attaching it to the drainage hole in the pot?

means that the bulb isn't touching any surface and would look a lot neater than having the wire poking through under the lip of the pot... i think I'll give that a shot

Lightstrike is caused by UV light reacting with hop compounds as far as I'm aware. a standard Tungsten globe won't throw out UV light so there should be no need to cover the lamp.

Interestingly I have had my fermenters on the bench in the open in my laundry before for significant periods of time. the laundry gets direct afternoon sun which did hit fermenters at times late afternoon (once I realised I covered the fermenter but it was days uncovered) and I didn't have a skunking issue.

There was a good article on the science behind lightstrike int he Jan/Feb BYO mag this year if you want o read up on it.
+1 I use a standard globe with no covering on it or the fermenter and have had absolutely no light strike problems. Though covering the fermenter seems like an easier/safer solution (an old t-shirt or something) if you're really paranoid about it .

i just found this as well Ceramic Heat Emitter seems like it'll fix all the problems if it can be raised to avoid contact with surfaces

These would work but you would have to have a ceramic batten holder.

Also these things don't like being turned on and off all the time as it shortens their life span. A bit expensive to only last a couple of months. If you use some sort of voltage controller like a dimmer they last for ages.

instead of stuffing around wouldnt a heat pad or heater belt made for the purpose be the easiest solution? no light emitted =no light strike.

These would work but you would have to have a ceramic batten holder.

Also these things don't like being turned on and off all the time as it shortens their life span. A bit expensive to only last a couple of months. If you use some sort of voltage controller like a dimmer they last for ages.

Actually they will last for a long time, and they are specificlly designed for being turned on and off a lot, to heat up and maintain a temperature. They are very popular with reptile keepers. I had one I got second hand and it lasted 3 years before I sold it with my python still working fine.

Latest posts

Back