Proposed RIMS system - advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWiggman

Haters' gonna hate
Reaction score
I've done a fair bit of trolling about and like all forums, there's so much here that it's a little daunting. If there's stuff already out there please direct me accordingly.

I've done plenty of kit stuff in the past and read up on all grain, as well as done a BIAB with a mate so I know where I'm at. I want (NEED) to go all grain brewing and have some expensive gear in my possession that I want to utilise for temperature control. I also have a busted 19l Cornelius keg that looks like someone dropped it from a great height on its handle, so the body is bent and the lid won't seal. It's otherwise ok. My intentions are -

19l Cornelius - HLT with single vertical heating element. Copper coil heat exchanger wrapped around the element. I'll make a frame around the base to allow for the element and also put a tap on the bottom.

40l stainless pot - mash tun. Single tap coming out the bottom using braided stainless hose to filter. 12V recirculating pump which will run through the HLT.

Boiler - undecided. The mate who did the BIAB has a 40l urn so I can use that until I have spare coin or come across a good opportunity.

I have 2 Jap made PID heating controllers which are the duck's nuts and worth around $400 each. I intend to put the thermocouple/RTD on the return line to the mash tun so I can do a multi-staged brew.
I understand that going complicated off the cuff for these things is not recommended but I know that one day I'll want to step up, and I'd rather commit now and go the whole hog. If I want to expand the system in the future then I think this is simple enough to learn from and basically do any brew on the small scale. I figure that I can step up my temps to the final resting stage in the 70's, then the HLT will have water in it spot on for sparging.
I have a fridge which an adjustable thermostat on it, which I use for fermenting and conditioning.

I was after some specific advice from the gurus who have been through it all and am open to any feedback. Specifically I'd like to know the following -
  1. Does anyone know about these pots on eBay? 50 + 45l for $120 is a bargain. Otherwise I was going to go for this.
  2. Has anyone converted a 19l keg into a HLT or RIMS/HERMS system before? If so, tell me all about it.
  3. Are those brown pumps worth their salt? i.e. am I going to buy it and straight away wish I had spent the extra $35?
I live in the Orange region. If anyone else knows of someone trying to sell something that would suit me, I'm all ears. Looking forward to your feedback.

I was just checking out your photos in the gallery of the HERMS build - was that successful? I've got a stripped thread corny and am going to make a HERMS soon. Was tossing up between using the keg or just some PVC pipe - will probably go with a Hermit coil kit.

Have you had any tests on how long it takes to ramp up the temp?

Does anyone know about these pots on eBay? 50 + 45l for $120 is a bargain. Otherwise I was going to go for this.
Cheap pots often rust, and that even includes the handy imports one. Search on here for "handy imports"
I would look at something like this

Has anyone converted a 19l keg into a HLT or RIMS/HERMS system before? If so, tell me all about it
Whilst the material of a 19L keg is great, there is way too much volume. The tightest you can get your coil, and into the smallest volume of water possible is the best solution. The main issue with bigger volumes is it is slower to temp changes. So for heating you need to heat that entire vol first before it can start transferring heat to the wort. The other issue is when you get to the next temperature you are likely to overshoot your set temperature as you have such a large volume of heated water.
3L is a good place to be for a HERMS.

Are those brown pumps worth their salt? i.e. am I going to buy it and straight away wish I had spent the extra $35?
Whilst there are many followers of the brown pump, there are a lot who have upgraded from them; myself included. My opinion is spend the extra $35 upfront.

QldKev said:
Has anyone converted a 19l keg into a HLT or RIMS/HERMS system before? If so, tell me all about it
Whilst the material of a 19L keg is great, there is way too much volume.
That answers my question - would have looked nice with the stainless though! :D

Maybe a false bottom is a better idea than braided hose? I think they flow better.

I have a second hand one you can have. I do eat a lot of curry though.

QldKev said:
Check out these, one day I will look at one for mine.
From my experience these are pretty flimsy and not really water tight (or stainless ftm). You can however make two blingy kaixin pump covers from one though.

I had no idea I had all these replies here. Too late now I suppose, it's done. Some feedback...

Logman said:
I was just checking out your photos in the gallery of the HERMS build - was that successful? I've got a stripped thread corny and am going to make a HERMS soon. Was tossing up between using the keg or just some PVC pipe - will probably go with a Hermit coil kit.

Have you had any tests on how long it takes to ramp up the temp?
Very successful. It worked out for me but fitting the coil was no easy task. If I had bigger arms I've have no chance. If I did it again I'd probably go for another 40l pot but to be honest this system is working really well. If you want to save money, then this is an option. Ramp up is 45 mins from 10°C to 71°C, and that's entirely through the heat exchanger (i.e. I didn't heat it in the HLT and transfer over). So in-between steps don't take that long, maybe 10-15 mins at worst depending on span.

QldKev - the main reason I went for the Cornelius is so I could kill two birds with one stone. Only need one heater and one vessel. I agree with your assertions too but in reality it hasn't really played out like that. What seems to happen is as the water heats up the heat energy gets sucked away by the HEx. Think of it as though energy in from heater = energy out to MLT. While the pump's running it seems to keep the temp of the HLT water down. I was expecting it to get too hot and then once the desired temp's reached it will overshoot. This isn't the case, but may be partly due to the quality of my PID controller. It takes 85% of the ramp time to get to within 1°C of the desired temp and slowly creeps up to it.
Regarding brown pump, if I hadn't already purchased it I may have spent the extra dosh. That said, it's been a solid performer so far and I can't see the need to upgrade yet.
I also didn't settle on the super-cheap pots and suspected as much. I'm pretty sure my new pot is probably from the same factory as the Handy Import jobs, albeit at $50 less.

Latest posts

Back