Promash And Vista - Missing Files

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a licensed copy of Promash and Windows Vista at home, I also have a licensed copy at work and running XP.

Anyway I often transfer my recipe's between locations and have noticed that at home on Vista if I save a recipe, session, txt file etc to the default folders I can not see them in my windows explorer or if I try to access them from another application. The files however are there when I access them via Promash.

On the other hand if I save the files to a non-default location eg c:\temp they are there for the world to see or if a transfer a file from work to a default location I can see them.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a settings options in Promash to fix this or is it Vista related?

Cubbie

Hey Mate,

Just an idea off the top of my head is to right click on your Promash folder on your Vista machine and make sure "read only" is unticked

I've noticed a few issues this seems to have resolved.

Rob.

Alternatively you could do what i do and create a dropbox account and store your promash there that way all your recipes will always be available for you.

it's free --> https://www.dropbox.com/

Hey Mate,

Just an idea off the top of my head is to right click on your Promash folder on your Vista machine and make sure "read only" is unticked

I've noticed a few issues this seems to have resolved.

Rob.

Will have a look at this tonight, but I am sure I have cut and paste into the default folders.

Promash is installed in the program files directory isn't it, and creates all it's recipe folders and such in the same location ? It's possible that Vista's being 'helpful' and not allowing you to see files within the subdirectory.
I think it's possible to re-path the Promash output folders, put it to your 'My documents' folder, or alternatively path to the other partition, so you don't lose it when your operating system crashes.

There's a similar problem with a program called Overlord that we use to run wargaming tournaments.

The files are there, it's just Vista sticks them in a god awful place.

Try the following directory on your computer:

C:\Users\"insert your Vista username here"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\ then whatever directory ProMash uses.

Note that the AppData directory is hidden, so if you haven't already enabled hidden files and folders in Explorer you will need to click on the Organize drop down menu up on the top left of the window, then choose Folder and Search Options, click on the View tab, then select the "show hidden files and folders" tick box.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

GT

Another option that may help is this:

Open the Promash directory in Explore and the click on the "compatability files" tab at the top of the screen.

That should show the files.

Another option that may help is this:

Open the Promash directory in Explore and the click on the "compatability files" tab at the top of the screen.

That should show the files.

Then copy them over to the directory you want to access them from.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back