Pro Mash - Fwh And Mh Utilization Settings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adzmax

Reaction score
First I'd like to say I've been searching for aaaages on this topic and have only managed to come up with bits and pieces of info. From what I'm reading there seems to be no conclusive information on First Wort Hopping and Mash Hopping values for Pro Mash though I stand to be corrected.

All I'd like to know is what are other Pro Mash'ers using for their FWH and MH values? I tried my very first AG last weekend and while calculating a recipe the IBU's were off the scale which can't be right. Thanks in advance guys!

I think I read that Ray Mills considers FWH the same as 20min additions. Best ask him though, I could be wrong.

The consensus has been to consider it a 20 minute addition for first wort hopping, but some US brewers (Denny Conn and Jamil IIRC) have been doing homebrew experiments, getting the beer analysed for bitterness, and they were suggesting that it adds more than that. But I think Denny is writing an article about it, so hopefully he'll get that out soon with all the results. For now, why not try a 30 minute addition which is -25% in the hop bitterness setting.

I think for mash hop, most people say to treat it as a 5 minute addition, which is a -80% setting. Personally, after reading about Ross and others using it, I've decided I don't have hops to waste on mash hopping. :p

keep hitting +time and promash turns your time into FWH and MH

I've just used these values.

hop1.gif

Just some we are all on the same page these are the setting I mean :)

The consensus has been to consider it a 20 minute addition for first wort hopping, but some US brewers (Denny Conn and Jamil IIRC) have been doing homebrew experiments, getting the beer analysed for bitterness, and they were suggesting that it adds more than that. But I think Denny is writing an article about it, so hopefully he'll get that out soon with all the results. For now, why not try a 30 minute addition which is -25% in the hop bitterness setting.

I think for mash hop, most people say to treat it as a 5 minute addition, which is a -80% setting. Personally, after reading about Ross and others using it, I've decided I don't have hops to waste on mash hopping. :p

I reckon you might be on the right track. I'll just stick with normal and FWH :)

Where would I find the info you are talking about? Thanks!

I dont understand why FWH'ing should be any different to full boil length hopping, after all they are being boiled for the same time arn't they?
I have always just thrown my FWH's in the kettle as it fills, am I a douche?

I've read that FWH hops are adding during collection from sparging and because the water temps are much lower than boiling the utilization of alpha acids is different. Sure it's then boiled but apparently it's the sparging time that makes the difference as it gives the aromatic volatile oils time to oxidise and they are less likey to be lost during the boil. Sounds like you're spot on to me :)

I read it here - http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-1.html

Where would I find the info you are talking about? Thanks!

Try this link Adzmax. The three pages have most of the info on FWHing you'll need as well as some good links. There's some info from Denny Conn on getting a FWH hop beer analyzed. According to him it added 10% more bittering than a standard 60 minute addition. But it didn't taste like it. :eek: So, maybe all that means is that IBUs is not that great an indication of bitterness to the human tongue. :rolleyes:

Back