Priming With Brown Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivesucka

Reaction score
been tempted to use brown sugar to prime my bottles, would anyone advise against this practice, and why?

Brown sugar isnt as fully fermentable as white sugar is and it can impart a molasses / caramel flavour.... But, at the minuscule volume that you add for priming you shouldn't notice any difference.

Therefore, I would just go with the cheapest (white sugar) if I were you. But by all means give it a go, prime half a dozen bottles with brown sugar and mark them! :icon_cheers:

I've seen this as a recomendation for a clone Old peculier recipe. My advice would be - if you want to add molases then you should measure the desired quantity and add to the fermenter, prime later on with dextrose. If you simply prime with brown sugar (which is just white sugar coloured with a small dose of molases) then you don't know how much you are adding. That said, it will still carb up just fine, but if you use around 150g for a normal 23L batch then you're only adding a very small amount of molasses, which may not be noticeable.

About all that can go wrong is not using enough sugar,
check the packet for the actual sugar content, as it's lower than pure sugar,
by quite a bit I think. Also brown sugar tends to geta bit lumpy and hard to measure accurately,
not an issue if you're bulk priming but a problem if you're adding a teaspoon or two to each bottle.

If you want those flavours consider adding the bnrwon sugar to the fermenter, and priming your normal way.

Priming accurately becomes a routine, I recently changed my priming sugar and my first batch was pretty flat
as the suagr content was lower.

What else can go wrong is that you might not like the beer, though about 200g to 250g to a batch won't be overpowering,
I put 400g into my last batch of Bitter, but I put about 100g of it on my weet-bix so I'm biased

When we go beach camping we make a brew called Sweet 16, (costs $16, made in 16 days)
1 can of Cark Ale, 1 kg of Brown Sugar.

Spends 5 days in primary, 9 days carbing up in bottles, and we drink it effortlessly.

And add molasses with care, another brewer make a kit and kilo once with a standard brew kit
and A FULL KG OF MOLASSES.

I asked him what it tasted like and his answer was " Ah, Um, er, molasses!"
In the end he made 4 batches of extremely Pale Ale and blended it ball back in and rebottled it at 20% molasses,
or about 200g per brew.

About all that can go wrong is not using enough sugar,

Oh, I dont know bout that..

I got a bit loose with the bottle priming a while back squeezing the Porter into tallies that I couldn't fit into the keg. Some bottles went pop about a week later - oh well - and some, in Coopers bottles did not.

I assumed they were OK.

One night I grabbed a couple to keep me company at our favorite BYO Thi restaurant, sat down, ordered than cracked one open only to be greeted with a fountain of hi pressure porter that my frantic thumb could not arrest.
So I enjoyed my green curry that evening wearing a malty, wet, two tone brown and white (formaly all white) Billabong t shirt and glairing looks of disdain from my darling wife.

Please, feel free to laugh at my expense.

Oh, I dont know bout that..

I got a bit loose with the bottle priming a while back squeezing the Porter into tallies that I couldn't fit into the keg. Some bottles went pop about a week later - oh well - and some, in Coopers bottles did not.

I assumed they were OK.

One night I grabbed a couple to keep me company at our favorite BYO Thi restaurant, sat down, ordered than cracked one open only to be greeted with a fountain of hi pressure porter that my frantic thumb could not arrest.
So I enjoyed my green curry that evening wearing a malty, wet, two tone brown and white (formaly all white) Billabong t shirt and glairing looks of disdain from my darling wife.

Please, feel free to laugh at my expense.
If you really look like Lemmy, no-one would dare laugh.

I've seen this as a recomendation for a clone Old peculier recipe. My advice would be - if you want to add molases then you should measure the desired quantity and add to the fermenter, prime later on with dextrose. If you simply prime with brown sugar (which is just white sugar coloured with a small dose of molases) then you don't know how much you are adding. That said, it will still carb up just fine, but if you use around 150g for a normal 23L batch then you're only adding a very small amount of molasses, which may not be noticeable.

Any chance of the clone old peculier recipe

under a new thread , so as not to hijack this one

I am glad you brought this up. I was wondering the same thing and was going to try it on my next brew.

I'm curious about the priming as well. I've just put this http://hopville.com/recipe/161665/old-ale-...-peculier-clone into the fermenter yesterday and it's happily bubbling away. I substituted treacle for molasses and have done double the batch to bring it up to 23 litres. I only got a OG of 1.046 so I'm not sure what went wrong there.

I'm only a newbie with only half a dozen extract batches under my belt so I'm not sure how it will go. I had a botle of Old Peculiar in Edinburgh a couple of years ago and it was one of the best beers I've ever had. I'm hoping this comes out OK.

This is my first post so be gentle with me :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back