Priming volumes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodbeer

Reaction score
Gday guys

Planning on bottling my latest hefe tomorrow night.

So far for each batch I've used carb drops, as I don't have a secondary, and has made things a bit easier over my first few batches.

Planning on using wheat DME this time. Going to pseudo bulk prime.

Have used a priming calculator, and from what it tells me, weizen's have a volume of 3.6-4.5, which if I go for say 3.8, gives me 428g of DME.

Just wondering if this sounds right to everybody? In past posts I've asked about carb drops, and most have said it's an expensive way to do it. But using 428g of DME is more expensive than a pack of drops????

Cheers

Gee that seems like a lot, for a 23l batch i use 160G of Dex and that is plenty.
PS i just dissolve it in 1/2L of water and add to FV, carefully stirring so it doesn't stir up yeast cake on bottom

Cooper prime at the rate of 5g/Ltr of sugar, so use that as a guide. You will need slightly more malt as not all of the malt sugars are consumed compared to table sugar

What is the yeild?
I've never primed with malt. That is higher carbonation than I've ever done.
Yes its surprizing sometimes when you work out the details. Home brew? use what ever you like. Comersial? do it as echonomically as possible. Both the same really.

Yeah seems like a lot...thought using wheat DME might enhance a hefe a bit...

Still got some Carb drops lying around, and some table sugar...could use that.

Any advantage other than cost to use table sugar as opposed to carb drops?

Or go to kegging. ;) Then you can do it all. I rarely prime bottle but I still do. I bottle good proven beer from the keg. (Draught Beer).

Yeah kegging is the plan but in a shoe box at the moment, can barely fit my fermenting fridge In the linen closet, let alone my homebrew in the fridge!

Personally I would be bulk priming.

I think you need about 15% extra malt than table sugar...But I cant exactly remember the ratio. I just know you need more

Goodbeer said:
Yeah kegging is the plan but in a shoe box at the moment, can barely fit my fermenting fridge In the linen closet, let alone my homebrew in the fridge!
Carb drops is the best option. Its the safest most easiest way on a simple level but

What bottles are you using? Glass? I would be reluctant to go higher than 3.0 volumes in a coopers glass bottle and even lower in a thinner bottle. Sugar is fine for priming, boil it in some water and ensure it is mixed thoroughly with the beer.

Back