Priming sugar's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James85

Reaction score
Hi all just curious. I had to bottle my last brew yesterday and the only sugar in the house was raw sugar. Couldn't go to the shop as the missus took the car to work and I was playing daddy day care. Will my beer take longer to carbonate or have I just ruined 60 tallies?
Probably should have asked before bottling but everything was clean and ready to go. Didn't want to sterilize everything again.

All sugars will work, you will get a different result with each.
Keep accurate records of amounts used and note the results.
I have found I prefer to use LDM in lagers and pilseners as it seems to give a much lighter carb with smaller bubbles.
Dex gives a middle range effect and white sugar sems to a harsher rougher carb.
Experiment, records and experience will guide you down the track.

I've not used anything but dex, does LDME change the malt profile of the beer, or are the amounts too negligible?

yum beer said:
All sugars will work, you will get a different result with each.
Keep accurate records of amounts used and note the results.
I have found I prefer to use LDM in lagers and pilseners as it seems to give a much lighter carb with smaller bubbles.
Dex gives a middle range effect and white sugar sems to a harsher rougher carb.
Experiment, records and experience will guide you down the track.
:icon_offtopic: Very interesting. I'll have to do some side-by-sides. This possibility hadn't occurred to me.

OP, I've used all kind of sugars and, indeed, all ones useable by yeast will carb. And the flavor change by raw sugar would be negligible. Highly flavored ones might be noticeable in lighter beers, pilsners and such.

I've also found the same results as yum beer. I prefer the lme personally. But it doesn't ferment out fully like dextrose. One figure I recall was 75% I think. So if you need 75 grams of dex for your desired co2, then you will need 100 of lme.

Side note- what are the coopers carb drops made from? I've never used them.

I assume because the LDME does not completely ferment out the brew may be a bit sweeter

I make an English bitter using

coopers English bitter can
1Kg of light dry malt extract
250g of light crystal steeped for 1 Hr

this a simple recipe , makes a smooth brew

I bulk prime with dextrose so to make part of a batch with LDME for priming maybe difficult

maybe boil up some syrup with the extract and add to a few bottles to compare

will do the math and see what happens

Latest posts

Back