Priming Kegs With Sugar?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thinking of trying this out due to making more beer than fridge space.

What quantityor measure of sugar/malt etc would I need for a 19lt corny keg? :blink:

warren

i think you are spot on if beer is left to carbonate naturally then the bubbels are finer and hence a creamier headed bear and the head tends to lace the glass as well also the matures nicely .
also it is not gassed to the max like aussie pub beer.
i tend to have a philosophy why make great beers to forcecarbonate to match that of an average beer.

natural v artificial debate will rage for years and realy its either convenience v patience at the end of the day

del
go naturale better for the brain :blink:

Devo, it depends on what style of beer you've brewed as for an ale you might want a bit less carbonation than a lager but it all comes down to personal taste. Personally I go for 7g per litre but I'm sure others would have different opinions.

Stickler said:
Devo, it depends on what style of beer you've brewed as for an ale you might want a bit less carbonation than a lager but it all comes down to personal taste. Personally I go for 7g per litre but I'm sure others would have different opinions.
[post="89426"][/post]​
I am in the sutuation as DEVO, I am going to try 7gr/lt.I assume i am i should put the sugar in the keg fill it and shake it a couple of times like you would with a bottle and leave it for say 4weeks? Is that right?

I guess I'm going to approach this keg as a bigger bottle with the priming and the shaking and the storage etc etc.

Thanks fellas, will give it a go. ;)

beer smith is telling me to use only 65gms in a keg to achieve 2.5.

does this sound right !?! you guys are talking 7gs a litre which turns out to be like 133gs.

For keg priming I use 80g of DME in 300ml of boiling water, cool and add to the keg to condition,chill after a week or two gas and pour.
Drinking one I primed 2 weeks ago and chilled yesterday as I type, just right [for my taste]. :) :chug:

I move my beers from the fermenter to a keg as a secondary and then I server from that keg.

Could I mix up some dex in a cup with water and pure it in the keg after secondary ferm is over to prime it ?

BennyBrewster said:
I move my beers from the fermenter to a keg as a secondary and then I server from that keg.

Could I mix up some dex in a cup with water and pure it in the keg after secondary ferm is over to prime it ?
[post="99725"][/post]​

yes...

but being an impatient brewer gas is quicker.when i become re aquainted with my other 6 kegs i will have the luxury of priming and gasing kegs.

cheers
big d

Bumped this up again <_<I found this topic of interest last year and just wanted to hear what you guys are doing now :) I now keg condition all beers [except what I bottle :rolleyes: ] where only 6 months ago it was 50/50 forced Co2 and keg coditiong.
What are you using to condition your kegged beer and how much?

i recently did two kegs with 90 grams of dextrose but i havent had a chance to try ether as im away till mid june

Another question on priming kegs for natural carbonation

Its time to give the cask berather a work out and experiment with real ale now i have half decent esb to try it on. How many volumes of CO2 should you aim for in cask conditioned ale at about 10C?

I only just read this in Designing Great Beers last weekend and am going off the top of my head, but 0.9 for a hand pumped was one of the figures mentioned. Maybe someone with the book handy could advise of the range.

"As a result of cask conditioning, the typical bitter will have a value of just 0.75 to 1.0 [volumes of CO2]."p.159, Designing Great Beers.

And make sure you serve it at a balmy 13-14 degrees. :chug:

Woohoo, my 500th post. :D

Stuster said:
"As a result of cask conditioning, the typical bitter will have a value of just 0.75 to 1.0 [volumes of CO2]."p.159, Designing Great Beers.

And make sure you serve it at a balmy 13-14 degrees. :chug:

Woohoo, my 500th post. :D
[post="128427"][/post]​
Thanks found the page, I don't know about 13-14c but have have served stout at 10c and it was very nice :chug:

For keg priming I use 80g of DME in 300ml of boiling water, cool and add to the keg to condition,chill after a week or two gas and pour.
Drinking one I primed 2 weeks ago and chilled yesterday as I type, just right [for my taste]. :) :chug:

Bumped this up again :) I now prime all [99.9% of the time] my kegs [depends on style now not like in the past and kept it the same, well most times] ,now I use 95g of DME in just enough boiled water to disolve it ,then leave them the kegs for at least two weeks for AAA and APAs and the like.
How are others priming their kegs for most beers? Some use dex, others sugar, not me I have used DME for awhile now. ;)
I only force carb when I am in a hurry which is not often.

I'm planning on doing this with my stouts and APA's but I'm also wondering if it would also be good to try it with a Pilsner?

Bumped this up again :) I now prime all [99.9% of the time] my kegs [depends on style now not like in the past and kept it the same, well most times] ,now I use 95g of DME in just enough boiled water to disolve it ,then leave them the kegs for at least two weeks for AAA and APAs and the like.
How are others priming their kegs for most beers? Some use dex, others sugar, not me I have used DME for awhile now. ;)
I only force carb when I am in a hurry which is not often.

So Bindi,
I take it that you still purge the air out of the keg when you fill.
Would there be any advantage to have gas connected to the keg at dispencing pressure as well, or not.

Normell

a: I take it that you still purge the air out of the keg when you fill.

b: Would there be any advantage to have gas connected to the keg at dispensing pressure as well, or not.

a: I never bothered doing that when I primed kegs...just pretend it to be a giant bottle, fill with beer, sugar and fit lid.

b: Only when actually dispensing, it will build pressure due to secondary/tertiary fermentation just like a bottle anyway, so gassing it before this phase has a chance to take place may lead to over-carbonation, or simply wasting your time as you wouldn't need to add sugar if gassing a cold keg at serving pressure for a few days :beer:

PZ.

Latest posts

Back