Priming Kegs With Sugar?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Bindi,
I take it that you still purge the air out of the keg when you fill.
Would there be any advantage to have gas connected to the keg at dispencing pressure as well, or not.

Normell
[/quote]

A better method is to purge the keg before you fill it, and as Fingerlinkin_B said : Just pretend it to be a giant bottle, fill with beer, sugar and fit lid. Only that the "sugar" I use is DME.
And there is no advantage leaving the gas connected to the keg at dispencing pressure.

Bindi/FLB...

Do you find that the extra sediment produced by the conditioning clouds the resultant beer?

I have found that after a couple of weeks cold conditioning, the biggest advantage for me is the crystal clear result from the keg after forced carbonation.

I keg condition my stouts, cause the black result doesnt show any redisue anyway.

Festa.

Doesnt seem to matter for me, but the beer tastes better sooner when force carbing IMO.

Mind you, all my dip tubes have been trimmed anyway, so maybe itd be a problem with standard length tubes?

PZ.

Bindi/FLB...

Do you find that the extra sediment produced by the conditioning clouds the resultant beer?

I have found that after a couple of weeks cold conditioning, the biggest advantage for me is the crystal clear result from the keg after forced carbonation.

I keg condition my stouts, cause the black result doesnt show any redisue anyway.

Festa.

Only a bit of sediment for the first few glasses and I don't mind :p and my dog loves it :D , it pours clear after that [except the Hefe] after keg conditioning they go into cold storage [1-2c] which holds 3 kegs untill there is space in chest freezer which holds 4 kegs servicing the three tap font, and I have not trimmed any of my dip tubes on any of my 9 kegs. :) .

It has been maybe a year now since I've regularly primed my kegs with sugar...yikes :blink:

But...due to my new setup, which can hold only three kegs and the Co2 cylinder at one time (and has three taps), I've had to revert to this method, as I'm keen to keep as many taps operational at one time as possible.

I've made many changes to my brewing methods since I last primed every keg and I'm keen to see if the switch between carbonation methods along the way may have also made the beer different :)

First of the new primed kegs were filled today, results in a couple of weeks :chug:

PZ.

Back