Priming Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Newbie brewer makin my first post. I started as most with kits about 4 months ago and am playin with hops 'n flavours. Was lucky enuf to be given a starter kit + 2 kegs etc. Now that I'm makin some palitable beverage I dont see the point in wastin it. I want to bottle my excess into 1.5ltr Grolsch bottles.
Question is, how much sugar do I use to prime the li'll buggers?

Newbie brewer makin my first post. I started as most with kits about 4 months ago and am playin with hops 'n flavours. Was lucky enuf to be given a starter kit + 2 kegs etc. Now that I'm makin some palitable beverage I dont see the point in wastin it. I want to bottle my excess into 1.5ltr Grolsch bottles.
Question is, how much sugar do I use to prime the li'll buggers?

are u using plain sugar? or carb drops. i put all my weight behind the use of carb drops, coz they are easy, so possibility of screwing up the measurement are blowing up your beautiful grolsch bottles. it would be 4 carb drops to a 1.5L bottle, as it is 1/375mL stubbie

Lobby

Hey Lobby

Will be kegging tomorrow 'n will probably use sugar this time. As much an expriment as anything else. 1 t spoon fer a stubbie, do I increae the sugar fer a larger bottle?

Hey Lobby

Will be kegging tomorrow 'n will probably use sugar this time. As much an expriment as anything else. 1 t spoon fer a stubbie, do I increae the sugar fer a larger bottle?

If you are using sugar the 1.5 Grolsch bottles are equvilant to 4 stubbies. so

1 teaspoon for stubbie
2 teaspoons for Long neck
4 Teaspoons for lrg Grolsch bottle.
If you have one of those measurer thinmajigies 2 large scoop measures.

Hey Lobby

yeah, its a direct linear relationship between volume and sugar used. coz the sugar is converted to a little more alcohol and some co2, and that happens at a constant rate, so priming a 3.75L bottle would be 10X the amount for a 375mL one.

Lobby

Enjoyed a nice pale ale tonight out of a 1.5L grolshy nice carbonation kept the head to the bottom of each glass. :icon_cheers: I know there is more to it but I used 4 drops when bottling that one. I used to use the priming measuring spoon thingo and add sugar for priming just double up a tallie measure, but since switching to drops all my beers seem to be more consistent.

Cheers Brad

Latest posts

Back