Priming Alternatives

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshisgood

Reaction score
Hey this may be a stupid question but I was just wondering if you could use preservative free lollies for priming sugar when bottle conditioning? Or maybe fruit juice concentrate? Anyone tried anything like this?

As long as you can accurately calculate the amount of fermentable sugar in whatever you add, I can't see why not. This is how things like "Skittlebrau" are made :D

Absolutely. I've used cordial to prime a cider before. Fruit concentrate would be even better. I contemplated using banana lollies for a wheat once but wimped out at the last minute and ate them instead.

as said you can use anything with sugar in it. But you have to work out how much to add thats the hardest part.

as said you can use anything with sugar in it. But you have to work out how much to add thats the hardest part.

I've used coffee (OK, so that's an additive ;) ), prune juice (a warrior's drink), cranberry juice as well as drops. The fruit juices I've only used as a part replacement (5ml=half a carb drop). Surprisingly, prune juice goes very well with medium heavy dark beers, and no added fart material that I can locate.

I've primed a porter with maple syrup. Just don't do what I did and measure it out in grams when it says on the mls on the bottle. Seniors moment. :p
Had to recap after a week. It came out very nice after that.

Hmm. Really tempted to try teh chico's in a few bottles of my oatmeal stout when I bottle current batch.
I imagine the packet will give some idea of sugar %. I have scales that are accurate to 0.1g, so should be easy enough to work out how many chico babies for 7g of fermentables...

As an added bonus, I get the rest of the bag to eat after bottling!

Latest posts

Back