Pressure fermenting a porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
Need advice from more experienced pressure fermetors. Trying out the "REAL Chocolate Porter" from the recipe DB over the weekend, first time I've done an AG dark beer.
I can't decide if there is any value in pressure fermenting. I would only be going low, perhaps fermenting at ~7psi and going up to 15psi near end of fermentation.

Is there any real benefit in doing this with a porter from a flavor point of view, considering would be fermenting on the higher end of the US-05 temp scale anyway?

I've used US05 in my last 3 brews in my uni tank Anubis, I've done two different things. Closed the blow off valve from the first day and let the whole ferment run under pressure, and also left the valve open for the first 72 hours and then closed it. My PRV is set at 20psi but on the third brew I used a blowtie on the blow off tube and set it to approx 10psi. Never noticed any difference, always hit predicted gravities. Flavour is always good and I get a really nicely carbed beer into the keg with closed transfer. The main benefit I get is carbed beer at the end of fermentation, I saved maybe a few cents in bottled CO2.
How much yeast are you going to pitch?

I've used US05 in my last 3 brews in my uni tank Anubis, I've done two different things. Closed the blow off valve from the first day and let the whole ferment run under pressure, and also left the valve open for the first 72 hours and then closed it. My PRV is set at 20psi but on the third brew I used a blowtie on the blow off tube and set it to approx 10psi. Never noticed any difference, always hit predicted gravities. Flavour is always good and I get a really nicely carbed beer into the keg with closed transfer. The main benefit I get is carbed beer at the end of fermentation, I saved maybe a few cents in bottled CO2.
How much yeast are you going to pitch?

Thanks for the info Razz. I've currently got my starter growing now (started with 1 packet of US-05), aiming for ~350 billion cells at pitching.

I think I'll perhaps give it a day or 2 after pitching with the PRV open to get going and make sure yeast are happy, then close PRV and let me blowtie regulate pressure at 7-10psi, then boost that to 15psi last day or 2 of fermentation.
Will then closed loop pressure transfer into my keg and put it under C02 at ~12psi (12psi works well on my keezer system for ales, so can't see why porter would be different)

Latest posts

Back