Preserving

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty of Mangos up here at the moment so mango, Apple and Date chutney.

Photo 18-01-2015 2 09 22 pm.jpg

DU99 said:
:icon_offtopic: Why are so expensive in the supermarket's $3
It's ridiculous, nearly everyone I know who has a tree has had the best crop this year, huge amount of fruit.

I've had an absurd amount of mangoes this year, all for free. Currently fermenting a mango IPA :D

But on topic, made some cracking mango chutney this season. Has been very well received. Basically just looked at the top 3 recipes on taste.com and picked the ingredients that were convenient for me and went with that. Still got another wave of mangoes to come this year when the keitts start coming on

sp0rk said:
Think I might do a mango & habanero chilli sauce or sriracha with the left over habaneros
Ouch Hab Sriracha is hot.
Still slowly using my bottle from last year.
Have chillies fermenting now for another sauce.

indica86 said:
Ouch Hab Sriracha is hot.
Still slowly using my bottle from last year.
Have chillies fermenting now for another sauce.
Could you please post the recipe for it if you still have it?
The chutney came out great, though sadly only filled 2 x 500ml jars, so I might triple the batch size next time

This weekend's effort was 8 jars of plum and sherry jam. 8 jars of blackcurrant jam (bit of an experiment... tastes a bit like rybena on toast), 6 big jars of tomato and beetroot chutney (fantastic). Plus we went picking at Bilpin and came home with about 10kg of plums to bottle.I'll pop some photos up tonight when I'm at home.

Edit - oh yeah, and 3kg of strawberries. Hello strawberry jam. And strawberry mead.

sp0rk said:
Could you please post the recipe for it if you still have it?
The chutney came out great, though sadly only filled 2 x 500ml jars, so I might triple the batch size next time
It's in the chilli thread.
Let me know if you can't find it.

Bottled pears, pear chutney and rhubarb & strawberry jam.

2015-02-08 21.12.21.jpg

2015-02-08 21.10.49.jpg

Just finished six bottles of passatta(no pic) and three bottles of jalepenos (non fancy pickled style), and 23 bottles of sweet corn

10491274_890364171014718_5618356529740624977_n.jpg
10931302_881769805207488_8939980315641590199_n.jpg

Mmmmm... corn. Do you bottle those in brine or just plain water?

Airgead said:
Mmmmm... corn. Do you bottle those in brine or just plain water?
Plain water, but, it has to be pressure canned, we have a large pressure cooker specially designed for doing pressure canning. Can do a much wider range of preserves using pressure canning, including meat!

I just made about 2.5L of spicy tomato chutney from the 4.3kg of San Marsano tomatoes I picked from my veggie garden yesterday afternoon. Methinks they'll be delicious - will find out in a couple weeks once they all mature a bit.

I do a bit of preserving, jams, sauces etc...I really enjoy it! I did a few jars of tomato pasta sauce last night and some Mexican salsa as well. I used to pickle some of my jalapeños when my garden was in full swing...looking forward to getting it back up and running again this spring!

Latest posts

Back