Pouring Problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyedwards

Reaction score
Genuine nube here!!!

So last night we played around with setting up the kegs. Force carbed etc adn when it came to puring time, somehow there was air mixing with the beer. The beer line was not full of beer, and the tap just pushed out foam. We degassed the keg checked seals etc, re gassed same thing. We put it down too the beer getting up to 16 deg while it was sitrting around waiting for us to work out the problem.

So it went back in overnight to chill again. I force carbed again this morning. Connected beer line back on, and set reg to puring pressure - same problem. Foam, foam and more foam. When I have finished pouring the foam, you can see what is in the beer line being sucked back itno the keg - surely this should remain full of beer and not actually move.

Any suggestions as to where to from here? I can still drink the beer, it just means leaving it sit for a few minutes to let the foam settle.

Well I'm certainly no expert in the field having had my keg setup for a month or so now, but I can relate to this quite well.

It could be 1 of 2 things: overcarbed or beer lines are too short.

Check in the articles section, there's an article there about Balancing a Draught System. Well worth the read, it will help greatly.

My first 2 kegs I managed to over carbonate them (force carbed) and just poured head. If the beer in the line turns to bubbles once you stop pouring then it is almost certainly overcarbed. It will pour alot of head and the beer is flat and dull.

On top of this issue, my beer line was wayyy to short which in turn forced the co2 out of the solution resulting in pouring mostly head with some beer attached which settled down to be mostly flat with a few bubbles in it which quickly dissipated.

My fix was to vent all the pressure in the kegs for a couple of days (making my beer flat again) and then carbing up a little bit at a time, hooking up the lines and doing a test pour. That's how I worked out I need longer beer lines - a 1/2 carbed keg was still pushing out mostly foam and I had tried multiple serving pressures. Got new 2.5m beer line for about $20, hooked it up and problem solved. Somewhere here is a spreadsheet for calculating co2 pressure, line lengths etc, I can't find it at the moment but it's saved on my PC at home.

Took some pain and suffering and I was definately kicking myself for not following a pretty bloody simple concept and advice from the articles about balancing.

Good luck mate!

Cheers,
Shred.

It's over carbed by the sounds of it.

Burp the keg, give it a shake then let it sit for 10-15 minutes and repeat.

without any useful info on your setup I don't know?

how did you force carb the keg pressure and time, how much beer line before your tap, what pressure are you serving at/ what temp

have you ready the articles on balancing a keg?

getting sucked back into the keg, I'm guessing you have over carb'd it

QldKev

Back