Potential Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smashin

Reaction score
Has anyone got the potential extract value for:

1. Wey, Melanoidian malt
2. Dingemans, Biscuit malt

cheers in advance,

smashin

not exactly choc full of info are they... maybe cause its "specialty malt" and they assume the grist percentages will be so low it wont affect brewing performance beyond extract and colour

You're welcome
If I may, how did you get from Extract FDW% to 1.035 and what did you allow for you Coarse/Fine difference?
Just curious

MHB

TB, I suspect your right, but the one for the Pilsner is complete, I bet the results are spat out by the same automated Congress Mash machine.
It ticks me off when they assume that I don't need to know.View attachment 26954
M

You're welcome
If I may, how did you get from Extract FDW% to 1.035 and what did you allow for you Coarse/Fine difference?
Just curious

MHB

TB, I suspect your right, but the one for the Pilsner is complete, I bet the results are spat out by the same automated Congress Mash machine.
It ticks me off when they assume that I don't need to know.View attachment 26954
M

I used Beersmith to do the calc, i don't profess to have researched it in any great depth, i used a course fine differnce of 1.5 near enough for home brewing, same with moisture, it doesn't throw the extract estimate that far for me so I don't stress on it, my efficiency variance batch to batch is of more concern.

Thanks Smashin, wasn't meant as a criticism or anything just curiosity.

Just chewing on some of the malt there are a few steely tips so I would not be surprised if the malt was just a touch under-modified, enough to make a big difference to the result don't know, would depend on your grain bill and mash regime.

The Pilsner malt is very well modified C/F only 1.1% and it tasted delicious, I think I might do an all Belgian pilsner malt Golden Ale next brew, thinking of about 20-25 IBU with Alsace Strissell Spalt (2% AA) with a very long boil to develop colour and for a very mellow bitterness.

MHB

Has anyone got the potential extract value for:

1. Wey, Melanoidian malt
2. Dingemans, Biscuit malt

cheers in advance,

smashin

If you google home brewing wiki malts chart you'll get a reasonable result.

Cheers,
Mel

If you google home brewing wiki malts chart you'll get a reasonable result.

Cheers,
Mel

thanks mel, Useful chart that one, I've got it laminated and up on the brewery wall.

Latest posts

Back