Potato Peel Oxygen Generator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if you put a diffusion stone on one end of the hose?

Instead of requiring the special high permeability hose you just have a normal one with the stone on the end

You beat me to it. Since the potato peel can't be sterilised by normal means the possibility of wort ingress makes the whole thing an infection risk.

It also makes calculating gas egress over a given time scale more difficult as you are dealing with d'Arcy's law for porosity rather than Fick's Law for permeability.

You beat me to it. Since the potato peel can't be sterilised by normal means the possibility of wort ingress makes the whole thing an infection risk.

It also makes calculating gas egress over a given time scale more difficult as you are dealing with d'Arcy's law for porosity rather than Fick's Law for permeability.

I wish I knew what you know. Always a fountain of awesome info. Please keep posting!

However, a diffusion stone attached to a reservoir of H2O2 and some sacrificial yeast (as a source of catalase) might be less risky in terms of infection. Especially if you could balance the contraption in such a manner that the stone would be at the top and filed with slightly pressurised O2.

I've got heaps on my plate for the next 6-8 weeks to tinker, so I'm quite happy to sit this one out and see what invention LC comes up with once he files the paperwork for "the other project."

Ah I didn't realise the stone would allow wort in. Oh well, worth a thought. As said before, keep posting. This info is awesome!

Magnesium oxide is a catalyst for hydrogen peroxide breakdown for oxygen have you looked at using vitamin supplement as a cheap source what they use for horses is probably the cheapest.

I think you mean manganese dioxide which I already mentioned. To my knowledge magnesium oxide is a poor catalyst.

Gravity readings (in oP)

Day____Control____Potato

Tues____13.5______13.5
Wed____12.8______12.9
Thur_____9.2_______9.7
Fri______6.1_______5.6
Sat
Sun

Edited to correct values in table, I did these by refractometer read the wrong column in the conversion spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Gravity readings (in oP)

Day____Control____Potato

Tues____13.5______13.5
Wed____12.8______12.9
Thur_____9.2_______9.7
Fri______6.1_______5.6
Sat_____4.3_______2.6
Sun

After 4 days "potato" is close to expected FG , control is lagging.

In the spirit of experimentation I split the wort in two and only threw the oxygenator in one (after pitching). A slight complication is that I added oleic acid to the yeast during the bulk up.

Interesting results so far. What was done with the control? Was it aerated at all (given your O2 bottle was elsewhere)?

In case that's not clear, both "potato" and control had oleic acid added to the yeast during yeast prep. No other assistance was given.

If it tails off I'll move it on to the lees of the "potato" ferment. I don't really need to do sensory on the two ferments, I already know I prefer oxygenated ferments to non-oxygenated. This was about whether my cowboy oxygenation method would work.

Last edited:
Gravity readings (in oP)

Day____Control____Potato

Tues____13.5______13.5
Wed____12.8______12.9
Thur_____9.2_______9.7
Fri______6.1_______5.6
Sat_____4.3_______2.6
Sun____3.8_______2.6

End of experiment, I'll now move the control over the "potato" yeast to finish it off.

Last edited:
Interesting that the control took off stronger, but the potato finished strong.
I guess the potato yeast were too busy getting jiggy with it to eat... then they found that they were starving.

I suspect my split of the yeast bulk up was a bit uneven and more yeast went into the control.

The most striking differences are over the last 3 days the potato sample really powered on, and this is where you really need good healthy yeast for the clean up phase. Something I noticed with a few brews over the years those that struggled to get down those last few points really didn't clean up well. Nice little experiment, looking forward to your other method.

Mike

Back