Pot & Burner Question For Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschippr

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting together the equipment to do my first BIAB and have just acquired my pot. It's a 59L 18/10 stainless stock pot with capsule bottom (500mm wide by 300mm deep) for $140 from Allbids.com.au

My question is what type of burner should i purchase to heat the liquid? I have my eye on a Spiral burner from beerbelly.com.au but am unsure if it might be a bit over the top. I've heard that i shouldnt get a burner that goes flat chat because it will burn/damage the pot. What sort of regulator should i pair with it?

Also is it a good idea to get any fittings attached to the pot to make life easier?

Many thanks,
MARK.

100_1985.JPG

I'm also curious to hear the answer. have myself a couple of umm... metal storage devices which hold around the same volume which need heating for my soon-to-be dive into AG'ing.

The parents have given the thumbs up to adding it to the xmas list so i was just doing some research using the old faithful search function. a whole lotta info but no real straight forward answers as to what is the best (all down to opinion though...)

Cheers, Sponge

Re: Fittings - YES!
It makes life so much easier, put a tap on it so you can drain it easier, there is plenty of info on the forum on different ways (welded, weldless etc).
I have one with a welded thread with a tap on it, and another I'll be modifying shortly with a weldless fitting on it.

About the burners, I myself use a 4 ring burner (usually only 3 rings going though - at least once I hit the boil) with a medium adjustable reg from BeerBelly and it heats up my 50L SS kettle no worries.
I'm not sure if the spiral one would be overkill, but surely you'd be able to adjust it to suit your needs then have room to expand later if you want.

Go italian spiral burner and medium pressure regulator if you can afford it.

They do well

Back