Posts On 19l Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camedmeades

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought two kegs from G&G last year and have kegged my first batch. The posts on the keg were the smaller hexagon-type but looking at my second keg i realised that its got different bolts for the posts.

One is a many-pointed star shape and the other is a much larger hexagon type. Both of which I don't have a spanner or a wrench socket for.

Was wondering whether I can just buy some new posts cheaply that have the smaller style bolt or whether I could take them somewhere and just swap them over, which is what i think someone has done before I bought it (as they are different on the same keg).

Any help?

Ta,
Cam

Why do you want to swap them over? The posts are still the same and will fit your disconnects. Just buy some imperial ring spanners and you'll have no problems - it's what I did when I realise none of the spanners I had would fit. Even managed to pick up the ratchet type ring spanners from Bunnings which works a treat.

you can buy a socket fitting for both of them. I just use a pair of multigrips myself. Works fine. I don't take them off all that often, maybe twice per year.

you can buy a socket fitting for both of them. I just use a pair of multigrips myself. Works fine. I don't take them off all that often, maybe twice per year.

Just that I have to buy two sockets as i don't have either of them...

I assume you need to take them off after every use to clean and sanitise. Or once done, can you clean the keg with removing the posts?

I only remove the posts when replacing the seals. General clean after the keg is done requires opening the lid and cleaning out any residue - posts aren't touched.

Hi guys,

I bought two kegs from G&G last year and have kegged my first batch. The posts on the keg were the smaller hexagon-type but looking at my second keg i realised that its got different bolts for the posts.

One is a many-pointed star shape and the other is a much larger hexagon type. Both of which I don't have a spanner or a wrench socket for.

Was wondering whether I can just buy some new posts cheaply that have the smaller style bolt or whether I could take them somewhere and just swap them over, which is what i think someone has done before I bought it (as they are different on the same keg).

Any help?

Ta,
Cam
A 22mm or a 7/8" AF ring spanner will fit. A cheapie would be OK considering the small amount of work it will be required to do.
Shoppe

I only remove the posts when replacing the seals. General clean after the keg is done requires opening the lid and cleaning out any residue - posts aren't touched.

exactly what I do. I'll take them off every 6 months to check them and give a quick clean but so long you make sure some sanitiser flows thru them (tip on side and depress poppet) this probably isn't necessary. I imagine supacheap / bunnings etc have the spanners for only a few $$. I just forget evry time I'm in there!

Back