Possible Infection !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleman

Reaction score
Heres one for the users of the 100 can cooler bag to watch out for.

I racked my kit Wheat earlier on, having pulled the primary fermenter out of the cooler bag. And sat it directly above my secondary vessel.

What i didnt think of, was a puddle of moisture had gathered in the bottom of the cooler bag over the days, from the condensation of the frozen bottles that were regularly placed in the bag.

Anyway, when i got to the last bit of the racking, i tipped the primary vessel to get as much clean beer as i could.

Some of that water from the cooler bag was still around on the bottom ( outside ) of my primary, and before i knew what was happening, many drops had fallen into my beer in the secondary from the bottom of the primary, when it was tipped.

What are the chances of an infection from this ? Is there enough alcohol in my beer to kill off any nasties that may be in that gathered water.

Am i being paranoid :rolleyes: I'd hate to lose this one, it tasted fantastic from my hydrometer.....very nice.

As Seth says, maybe i should just RDWHAHB :D :unsure:

I guess it depends on how clean your cooler bag was. Keep an eye on it over the next week or so, check every few days, give it the smell and taste test.

But yes, for the moment RDWHAHB.

I agree with adamt, there is a chance but most cases RDWHAHB she will probably be fine.

Edit: If it makes you feel any better I did the same think with some liquid that poured off the edge of my racking table into my bulk priming bucket, think it was mostly sanitizer though. Turned out fine.

50/50

Once beer has finished fermenting, conditions are not ideal for an infection.

The pH is lower.
The short chain sachaaride malt sugars have been consumed by the yeast.
There is no oxygen left.
There is alcohol that acts as a preservative.

But, there are infections that can thrive where there is no oxygen, like a bit of alcohol which is a high energy food and can utilise the longer chain sachaarides. Depends what lucky dip beasties went in your brew.

Keep an eye on the brew in bottles. Regularly taste it. Consume it sooner rather than later.

Problems that may arise for you to watch out for are overcarbonation and sourness. At the first sign of these, get the rest of the bottles as cold as possible, preferably in the fridge and drink them.

With so much moisture about, it would be a good idea to sanitise your tap before racking or bottling.

Back