Porter Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manticle is a huge proponent of coldsteeping dark grains overnight in the fridge, then add the mix to the last ten mins of the mash. Extracts colour, flavour without the bitterness. I took his advice for some porters and would also recommend it.

No chalk at all. If you were using it to adjust pH from the use of Dark grains ( and it doesn't work that well anyway ) then you can avoid the pH problems by not adding the dark grains to the mash at all, or during the end of your mashing/vorlauf technique. There are several methods for doing this, covered in the excellent book by Gordon Strong. For my tastes, when using Carafa II special and chocolate grains I find an overnight cold steep ( 1 : 4 grain : water ) and adding the liquid to the last 10 minutes of the boil works well. Some add the liquid direct to the fermenter, some add the grain during vorlauf, different dark grains taste different with the diff methods.
The added bonus is that the taste is very smooth, no harshness at all that you can get from doing a full mash with the dark grains.

well i mashed in this arvo and will see what flavour and bitterness the malts bring to the table and then adjust from there. With my black IPA i add the dark malts at mashout and the smoothness of those compliment the hop profile. forgot to take some happy snap cos the phone was on charge.

anyway I'm about to lauter the mash and should be boiling by 830 :D

Thanks for the input.

Brew night went great, hit the target gravity and volume into the FV. The colour is great, not opaque as planned yet its very black with a slight ruby highlight. :super:

Got the Burton yeast pitched saturday morning and she is fermenting nicely at 19c

Here is the final recipe ( no water adjustements )

OG - 1.054
FG - 1.012 ( mashed @ 67c 40mins )
IBU - 35
EBC - 68
BH Eff - 73%
Mash Eff - 93%
Vol - 20Lt

74% Briess 2 Row
10% Munich
8% Medium Crystal (60L)
6% Chocolate Malt
2% Black Patent

Chinook @ 60m - 30ibu
Cascade @ 5m - 5Ibu

Whitelabs Burton Ale 023 Yeast @ 19c picthed after adding 60seconds of pure O2.

Misc - Yeast Nutrient@ 15m, Whirlfloc @ 10m.

When did you end up adding the dark malts?

Let us know how it turns out!

lael said:
When did you end up adding the dark malts?

Let us know how it turns out!
They went in with the mash.

I make an annual oatmeal stout that uses the dark malts in the mash and its to style, but this is the first time using black patent which is why I used only 2% and that may have a more defined flavour which could lead to a mash out addition. The Black IPA I make uses the dark malts for mash out only and you get a nice smooth flavour from doing it that way so I understand the practice. Its likely I will make another one sometime this year so I thought for a first porter I thought to keep it straight forward and then flex it a little for the next version.

Had a sample last night after carbonating it lower than I usually do for my ales and Ipa's.

Dark black with ruby highlights, nice brown head with dark malt roasted aroma. For a first Porter its bloody tasty, may try it with another yeast strain, the Burton isn't really the player of this beer, the malts are and its balanced with the chinook bittering hops. :)

WP_20150313_010.jpg

I will be making a 2nd Porter after the success of the first one and for the NSW case swap in June. :beerbang:

Some changes to the recipe:
  • Marris Otter for the Base Malt ( previously Breiss 2 Row )
  • Light Crystal Malt ( previously medium Crystal )
  • Black Malt 3% ( increased from 2% )
  • Adding Chocolate Malt & Black malt for mashout only ( it was recommended and I do that with BIPA's)
  • Mash temp @ 68c ( previous was 67c )
  • lowered abv to 4.8% ( was 5.2% )
Will be using the same yeast - Burton Ale 023 and hops will again be Chinook @ 60mins and Cascade @ 5mins.

Recipe is:

OG - 1.051
FG - 1.015
ABV - 4.8%
IBU - 32
EBC - 60
Vol - 20lt

73% Maris Otter
10% Munich
8% Light Crystal (35L)
6% Chocolate Malt @ Mash out
3% Black Patent @ Mash out

55c/10m, 68c/40m, 72c/20m, 76c/30m

Chinook @ 60m - 27ibu
Cascade @ 5m - 5ibu

Burton Ale Yeast @ 18c

Spiesy said:
Yes indeed.
I just had a re-read of the BJCP guidelines and it refers to using either US or UK variety's for the style.

Personally I prefer the US ones having used UK variety for my oatmeal stout (next one will be US)plus I use them obsessively for my ales and stocks of high alpha bittering hops are readily available.

Back