Porter Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for some feedback on my first attempt at a Robust Porter.

Recently tried the Heretic Shallow Grave and also the local Porter from Little Brewing Company and both were great examples of the style. By no means do I want to clone these but have put together what I think is a good start for a porter. ( read about 20+ recipes online )

Pratty's Porter

OG - 1.054
FG - 1.015
ABV - 5.2%
IBU - 32
EBC - 67
Vol - 20lt
Eff - 70%

Malts

73% Pale Malt - Briess 2 Row
10% Munich
8% Medium Crystal (60L)
6% Chocolate Malt
3% Black Patent

Hops

BIttering @ 60mins = 27Ibu - can someone please advise best bittering for this style I have the following hops:

• Chinook, Warrior, Summit, Millennium, Cascade, Centennial etc etc

Flavor Hops @ 5mins = 5ibu - planning to use cascade

Yeast

WLP023 - Burton Yeast - cos whitelabs says its excellent for porters and stouts.

Let me know what you think for this recipe, open to using any yeast and adjusting the malt bill if you have developed your own recipe and want to share some insights.

Dan

Cararoma and Carafa III go very well in Porters.

Go easy on the patent malt. It is VERY powerful. Leaves a nice ashy flavour but use to much and it will taste like charcoal. I use about 50gms in a Port/Stout for 22ltrs

Thanks DS. Might swap out 2% of the patent for carafa3.

What would you use for bittering or is it not relevant because of the malt bill?

You can also put up to half the black patent in the boil, whole and unmilled. That gives some dark, deep fruits in addition to color. This is an old English technique, well documented in BYO and ShutUpAboutBarclayPerkins.com, among others.

FWIW I myself don't find the Black Patent to be ashy. Roast Barley yes, but not the Patent. Yob and I just did a RIS with 10% Patent that no one has yet found ashy. I guess it would depend on the maltster and how far they let the Patent go during the roasting. We used the Simpsons Black Patent Malt.

All the black patent malt I have used gives an ash flavour. Its basically charcoal

Stolen from wikipeadia

Black malt[SIZE=small][edit][/SIZE]
Black malt, also called patent malt or black patent malt, is barley malt that has been kilned to the point of carbonizing, around 200 °C. The term "patent malt" comes from its invention in England in 1817, late enough that the inventor of the process for its manufacture, Daniel Wheeler, was awarded a patent. Black malt provides the color and some of the flavor in black porter, contributing an acrid, ashy undertone to the taste. In small quantities, black malt can also be used to darken beer to a desired color, sometimes as a substitute for caramel color. Due to its high kilning temperature, it contains no enzymes. ASBC 500-600/EBC >1300.

Mardoo said:
FWIW I myself don't find the Black Patent to be ashy. Roast Barley yes, but not the Patent. Yob and I just did a RIS with 10% Patent that no one has yet found ashy. I guess it would depend on the maltster and how far they let the Patent go during the roasting. We used the Simpsons Black Patent Malt.
Are you sure it was black patent malt...10% is a shitload of patent malt....be like drinking pure charcoal

Keep the burton cool for the first 48hrs. Under 20. It can get quite estery above. Great yeast, love it but can be fussy.

Looks like a great recipe to me. You need black patent in a robust porter as it imparts the ashy/roasty flavour that's synonymous with the style. Up to about 200grams in a 20L batch is a good amount in my experience

Thats more than you would use for Xtal or Roast Barley.......are you sure it was Black Patent Malt...just seems way to extreme...by a fair way

Had a brief chat with Stu by PM so as not to derail this thread too much.

Clearly there are some major differences in Black Malt, as in all malts. I found a quoted Lovibond range for BM of 415 to 650 Lovibond - a huge range. Perhaps choose your percentage rate in the recipe based on how the BM you get tastes. Always good to taste the malt first :)

Thanks for the input brewers, that wonderful part of this craft is the differences we all have with our experience with the raw ingredients :super:

Going to start with 100g of Black Patent which will be 2% and work from there when version 2 hits the list.

Just wondering a couple of things:

• would it be worth using Maris Otter as the base malt over 2 row?
  • Should the water have chalk to boost the hardness? Current tap water is 58ppm bicarbonate.

I dont think you would notice that much of a difference either way using MO or whataver, its going to get hidden behind all that roast grain goodness.

See if you can get some Caraaroma. Gives it a more raisin depth and a great deep red colour

Ducatiboy stu said:
I dont think you would notice that much of a difference either way using MO or whataver, its going to get hidden behind all that roast grain goodness.

See if you can get some Caraaroma. Gives it a more raisin depth and a great deep red colour
Simpsons Crystal Dark will bring the raisins and dark fruits also, and it's English, which is where this style originates (if that's of any concern, possibly not). Prob not as full on as Caraaroma though, more sweetness.

Ducatiboy stu said:

Ok cool, staying with the 2 Row.

As for the caraaroma....hmmmm, maybe on the next one. Ive used that on my amber ales at 9,6&3% on different batches and it as its name suggests....give atrong malt aroma. Probably less over powering with the choc and patent malt.

I think yes maris definitely makes a difference. Used to make porters and stouts with jw ale and they were great. Switched to maris and it was a step up. Definite difference.

No to chalk. Chalk is relatively insoluble, ineffective and tastes like chalk. Cold steep and add to last 10 of mash is what I do, some other possibilities like slaked lime exist (see brunwater for more explanation of that one).

manticle said:
I think yes maris definitely makes a difference. Used to make porters and stouts with jw ale and they were great. Switched to maris and it was a step up. Definite difference.

No to chalk. Chalk is relatively insoluble, ineffective and tastes like chalk. Cold steep and add to last 10 of mash is what I do, some other possibilities like slaked lime exist (see brunwater for more explanation of that one).
Manticle,

are you suggesting to use the chalk at the last 10mins of the mash cycle eg mash out or during the 67c rest phase?

Latest posts

Back