Porter Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sokodan

Reaction score
Hey All

Looking for a "simple Porter" recipe , i tried a james Squire not too long ago and thought it was alright. I generally brew K&K , any ideas would be appreciated .

Thanks

Dan

I've seen that Cascade have an actual Porter kit, if you can find it and want to do it that way.
Otherwise I think something like a Pale Ale kit of some description would make a good base, again, if you want to use a kit as the base. Ontop of that you may want to add a variety of dark malts, chocolate or dark crystal would be good, maybe some amber or caramalt on top of that. Using a couple of different malts will give you a more complex flavour profile, and will add to the overall appeal.
As far as hops go, you don't really need to go nuts, but English style hops are generally the way to go; Goldings, Fuggle, Progress, etc.

Sorry if i'm being a bit vague, that's how i'd go about it, but its by no means a strict guideline. You may want to look up some recipes and work from that.

Grab your self a Morgans Iron Bark Dark Ale can and a Morgans Choc Malt can.
Mix the two together. Ferment with the kit yeast at 18.

Add 7-10ml vanilla extract for that little something extra.

If you keg I add 7ml at primary and 7ml to the keg.

Was a hit at the recent QLD case swap.

FROGMAN

Grab your self a Morgans Iron Bark Dark Ale can and a Morgans Choc Malt can.
Mix the two together. Ferment with the kit yeast at 18.

Add 7-10ml vanilla extract for that little something extra.

If you keg I add 7ml at primary and 7ml to the keg.

Was a hit at the recent QLD case swap.

FROGMAN
Hey Frogman ,
I bottle , normally just use carb drops would i still use the 2 per tallie as per norm with this ??

Thanks

Dan

i haven't brewed a k&k porter but have done a number of AG ones. Here is what i'd try in your position

1x Light coloured brew kit, ie cascade pale ale, not sure of the bittering hops used in this but i dont think the coopers one would be the best choice because of the pride of ringwood hops

1kg light malt extract

150g medium joe white crystal (130ish ebc)
200g chocolate grain

steep the grains in 5 litres 68c water for 30 mins, strain teh grain out and boil for 30 mins. with 10 minutes to go put in 20g goldings. strain into fermenter, add the kit, light malt extract and mix in, top up to 23 litres. ferment and enjoy :)

super easy crowd pleaser and high on my own fav list

cascade choc mahogany porter can
2kg coopers dark malt extract
500g choc malt grains (steeped for 1/2 hr)
W1028 London yeast

og 1084
fg1022

cant go wrong i reckon

cheers,dan

Not sure exactly where this one fits in the style guide - maybe a brown porter?

1 x coopers lager tin
1 kg LDME
450g choc malt - steeped
50g roast barley - steeped
15g pride of ringwood @ 30 mins
15g fuggles @ 20 mins
15g fuggles @ flameout.

Nice, easy drinking beer this one.

Hey All

Looking for a "simple Porter" recipe , i tried a james Squire not too long ago and thought it was alright. I generally brew K&K , any ideas would be appreciated .

Thanks

Dan

Muntons Gold range has a "Dockside Porter". It's a 2 can 100% malt kit, a bit expensive but turns out great beer really easily. I made this kit earlier in the year and it's a really easy nice beer.
Your HBS may have to get it in for you, my local got a few for us to try and now can't keep them on the shelf
they go so quickly.

For an even better drop, add a 3rd can of unhopped liquid malt or a kg of brew enhancer,
runs it up over 5%.

Hi Guys, I really like the James Squire Porter on Draught and had ago at making a similar Porter my first attempt was a Tooheys Real Ale can and a large can of muntons dark liquid malt extract using the kit yeast it came out really well.Every body who drank it really enjoyed it.

I am currently brewing a Cascade Chocolate Porter porter along with a Brewcraft brew enhancer #72 and the kit yeast. I t has taken off like a rocket. Will keep you all posted with the results.

Cheers Gavo

Latest posts

Back