Porter Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adric Hunter

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a nice K&K recipe for a porter? I've never brewed one before so I thought I'd start with a simple no brainer Kit with some alterations. So whats a good brand, if indeed there are any Porter kits because I can't remember ever seeing one.

Going to be hard, if not impossible to make a good Porter from a kit....

Its just one of those beers that does not really work that well from a tin...

You just wont get the flavour.....sorry...

Going to hard, if not impossible to make a good Porter from a kit....

Its just one of those beers that does not really work that well from a tin...

You just wont get the flavour.....sorry...

Ditto.

You know how to mini mash AH ?

I agree with stu there there just to thin and lack that certain flavour

Heres one for you....
Thanks to Wassa for the recipe...tastes great !

Wassas Honey Porter

1 can of Cascade Mahogany Porter
1 KG Dark dry malt
500gms Yellow Box honey
15gms of Cascade hops

Ferment with Safale S-04. Bottle..and leave for 3 months in the bottle.
Gets better the longer you leave it.
Enjoy

i was gonna sugesst you stay away from the cascade mahogany porter , i nearly threw a keg of that down the driveway .. not a nice drop at all , but each to their own i guess.. took a long time to mellow into something worth drinking ...

i was gonna sugesst you stay away from the cascade mahogany porter , i nearly threw a keg of that down the driveway .. not a nice drop at all , but each to their own i guess.. took a long time to mellow into something worth drinking ...

Ditto the Cascade line - such a nice can, twice I've tried for poor results. Won't go there again.

Morgans and Brewcraft has a pretty full range of products and I suggest go that way as the full kit option. You will need to find a better HB store than KMart or Woolies to find those products.

Wassa's recipe will work with other tins as well. I have seen Brewcraft with dark enhancer kits and Morgans have their masterblend tins and adding one of these to a Tooheys Dark Ale can maybe worth its while and fairly simple for new brewers.

Both comments about leaving the beers for a while to mature are spot on too ! When using tins and enhancers I find they need a lot of conditioning time. No good if you want to bottle and drink in two weeks !

Why not try a 2 can Porter? 1 x Coopers Stout can & 1 x Coopers Pale Ale can. Steep 200g of Choc Malt & throw some hops in, other than that get yourself a Fresh Wort Kit Porter!
Cheers
Gerard

If you do the Cascade Mahogany Porter kit I suggest leaving it to mature for at least 5 months as I found it very disappointing until then.

I found the coopers dark ale kit better than the Cascade Porter.
I steeped 200g choc malt, 1kg DDME, & a goldings teabag. A nice winter warmer.

I'll add my reccomendation to the Cascade porter recipe given above - I've tried it twice and it comes out well once you age it anything over 2 or 3 months. Probably replace the hops with Goldings for my next run though.

I have found to make a good dark ale or porter from a kit that it is best to start with a reasonably bitter pale kit and add specialty grains in conjunction with light malt extract to give the right colour and flavour rather than starting with a
dark ale/porter kit or using dark malt extract. The following is a recipe that is very popular with kit brewers in my store. I made heaps of beers based on this in my kit days. If you can do a mini mash and replace some of the light extract with ale malt it makes for an even better beer. This makes a beer along the lines of a brown porter.

Morgans Qld bitter kit 1.7kg
1.0kg Dry light malt extract
250g Dried wheat malt extract
300g caramalt grain
200g medium crystal malt grain
200g choc malt grain
50g roast barley grain
15g Willamette hop pellets (0 min boil)
5-10 lt fridge cold water
1x safale US05 ale yeast

In a saucepan or bowl add the grain with approx 1.5lt hot water (not boiling) and mix well. Allow to steep for 10-30 minutes.

After steeping pour the grain and liquid through a strainer and collect the liquid in a saucepan. Rinse the grain with approx 1lt of hot water and collect the liquid in the saucepan. After rinsing, the grain can be discarded.

Bring resulting liquid to the boil for approx 5 minutes. After boiling for 5 minutes turn the heat off and add the 15grams Willamette hops to saucepan and stir. Allow to sit for a further 5 minutes.

Add 1kg light dry malt extract and 200grams dry wheat malt extract along with the Morgans Qld bitter kit to fermenter. Use the liquid from the grain to rinse out the tin. Add the remainder of the hot liquid to the fermenter and stir well.

Add your fridge cold water to fermenter and stir well. Top up to 20 lt with tap water, stir well and sprinkle yeast onto the surface of the liquid.
Ferment at 18-20 deg C. for best results.

Cheers
Anthony

If you do the Cascade Mahogany Porter kit I suggest leaving it to mature for at least 5 months as I found it very disappointing until then.

iawtc

I also made it up with extra DME (I think 1kg) and 18l of water. It has a smoky flaour which I find builds up to a nemesis when I drink a lot of it. That's 3-4 longnecks though, the first couple are ok.

Latest posts

Back