Porter fresh wort kit turn to a dark india ale.. Which Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southcoastbrewer

Reaction score
Hi all

As its raining and im too lazy to do the AG in the wet, im laying down a ND brewing choc porter, however, i am considering throwing in S05 instead and making to 19L and adding a hop tea and dry hopping the shutszpa out of it in a secondary to try and achieve a nice Dark India Ale... I have found that most DIA are mainly just a porter thats been highly hopped.

I was considering citra and Galaxy as the dry hop, possibly the Citra as the hop tea.. Any other suggestions as to what hops may offer a better flavor combo?

Southcoastbrewer

Go nuts with the citra, but be careful with dry hopping galaxy as it can turn to lawn clippings if left in too long. Pull it out after a couple of days or leave it in at your own risk!

Liam_snorkel said:
Go nuts with the citra, but be careful with dry hopping galaxy as it can turn to lawn clippings if left in too long. Pull it out after a couple of days or leave it in at your own risk!

I've given up on dry hopping Galaxy completely, my last attempt was 27 hours @ 1 degree and it was still grassy.

Citra, simcoe, mosaic and galaxy if you have them all....hit it heavy with 28g of each for 3-4 days. Even consider dry hop at 18c for 3 days then cold crash and dry hop again.

Donske said:
I've given up on dry hopping Galaxy completely, my last attempt was 27 hours @ 1 degree and it was still grassy.
It's a cruel mistress :( Flowers or pellets?

Pratty1 said:
Citra, simcoe, mosaic and galaxy if you have them all....hit it heavy with 28g of each for 3-4 days. Even consider dry hop at 18c for 3 days then cold crash and dry hop again.
Awesome, i have all of these things, bar the mosaic, which is fine, its fermenting away now, put it down last night and did a 5L hop tea with 25g of citra. It smelt really... different... lol... i think its gona make a great DIA... or great diuretic... one of the 2 LOL

Liam_snorkel said:
It's a cruel mistress :( Flowers or pellets?
Pellets.

Yeah, I love Galaxy but I've basically given up on it entirely because I just can't get it to work for me, if I go too low on the hopping rates the beer is boring, too high it's grassy.

I've had success with flowers using the heavy handed but short time dry hopping. Maybe it takes longer for the grassiness to develop with flowers? By memory the S&W pacific ale clone threads have heaps of discussion about dry hopping galaxy (which I think is why I haven't used it in pellet form)

Latest posts

Back