Porter doesn't fully carb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skwaler

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first batch of porter didn't fully carb up despite using the same ratio of sugar I've used many times for my other ales. I tried turning the bottles every few days etc...

In the end I had to open them back up and add a little more (1/4 tsp) sugar. After a week or so they were carbonated well (some a little too well). I assumed I had made an error adding the sugar to the bottling bucket.

My second batch of porter has been in the bottle for 4 weeks, and I have the same issue...under carbonated beer.

Is there anything special about a porter that could be causing this?

Grain bill was: Pale, Crystal, brown & chocolate.
Yeast: S-04

Thanks

SK.

are you keeping the bottles warm? if they are outside, or in a cold part of the house, carbonation will take longer.

Temp is 20-22C

My other beers carb up nicely in under a week.

I've brewed about 20-30 beers and the bottles have carbed up every time. Except the very last batch I've made, it's been about 3 - 4 weeks and still not much carbonation at all. This is the first time I've used WLP051 Cal V ale yeast and from what I read it can be very temperamental. I can only assume it's gone to sleep when it gets cold at night, however it doesn't really get *too* cold indoors hre in Sydney in winter. I'm just going to leve it for a month or so or drink it all flat :)

Back