Portable cooler kegerator (top mounted tap and gas-in)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixdemonbag

Reaction score
Just finished my portable keg cooler for the cams holidays. Hold a 12l keg. I got a set of carb caps and another set of ball locks fitted to the lid. Should stay nice and cold for a while. The cooler itself is basically intact.

Has anyone else done this before? It's a nice clean setup. Plus you can drain away the water from the spout and keep topping up the ice quite easily.

Sixdemonbag said:
Just finished my portable keg cooler for the cams holidays. Hold a 12l keg. I got a set of carb caps and another set of ball locks fitted to the lid. Should stay nice and cold for a while. The cooler itself is basically intact.

Has anyone else done this before? It's a nice clean setup. Plus you can drain away the water from the spout and keep topping up the ice quite easily.
Thanks for this idea, I have a 19L Coleman round cooler and was struggling to fit a 9.5L party keg and tap, reg, etc. Now I'm going to mount on the lid as you have done.
Can I ask how you mounted your carb caps under the cooler lid? Do you have a photo of the underside of the cooler lid?
I have found I need a a stronger connection, especially for the tap, so I'm fabricating some SS plates with a female PET thread to screw on the carb caps.
I will bolt on the SS plates to the lid. I'll upload some photos when complete.

Well, 6 months later and I finally got my portable top mounted cooler kegerator done.
Thanks again for the idea. Here are some pics. Sorry about the rotated pics, the uploader seems to rotate them and I can't seem to fix it.
20160625_072028 (Small).jpg
20160625_072042 (Small).jpg
20160625_072101 (Small).jpg
20160625_072134 (Small).jpg

Redman9 said:
Well, 6 months later and I finally got my portable top mounted cooler kegerator done.
Thanks again for the idea. Here are some pics. Sorry about the rotated pics, the uploader seems to rotate them and I can't seem to fix it.
attachicon.gif
20160625_072028 (Small).jpg
attachicon.gif
20160625_072042 (Small).jpg
attachicon.gif
20160625_072101 (Small).jpg
attachicon.gif
20160625_072134 (Small).jpg
Awesome looking job!
One question, the fittings you used that come through the stainless and you carb caps attached where did you get those from?
Cheers
Bevan

bevan said:
Awesome looking job!
One question, the fittings you used that come through the stainless and you carb caps attached where did you get those from?
Cheers
Bevan
The male PET Threads were made on a lathe out of stainless steel bar by my fitter and turner then TIG/soldered to the SS plate.
The plate is screwed and Sikaflexed to the cooler.

I couldn't figure out a way to mount the carb caps underneath securely plus I had height issues.
This way at least all I have to do is screw on two pet caps and it's a standard cooler when I need one.

@Sixdemonbag this is precisely what i am looking to do. Where did you buy your cooler, a lot of the ones i have seen wont fit the kegs (i have the 9.5L keg king ones with rubber feet and handles) also what do you do for dispensing gas?

Sixdemonbag said:

Back