Poor Quality Water In Brisbane At The Moment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagooMan

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone has noticed any adverse affects from the water in Brisbane at the moment in terms of noticeable smells in the finished beer ?

I boiled some the other day just for personal drinking water and it seemed to help. But as I am only doing a K + K / partial , dont really want to boil 20 litres unless I have to . Am a bit concerned as I have just bought my first liquid yeast and dont want to stuff it up with crappy water

Thanks

MM

Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone has noticed any adverse affects from the water in Brisbane at the moment in terms of noticeable smells in the finished beer ?

I boiled some the other day just for personal drinking water and it seemed to help. But as I am only doing a K + K / partial , dont really want to boil 20 litres unless I have to . Am a bit concerned as I have just bought my first liquid yeast and dont want to stuff it up with crappy water

Thanks

MM

The water supply is fluoridated now, as of the last couple of weeks. Unsure if that has anything to do with it? I am doing my first brew with fluoridated water this weekend, so it better not have any ill-effects! <_<

The water authority is claiming its caused by the excess dirty runoff from the recent rains, but I've never noticed this in past times.
My sincere belief is it's the flouride that's been added to the water & that it's stripping the muck off the pipes & into our homes at present.
I am so happy I'm on tank water, the background info i've had on flouride scares me to death & there's no way I'd be drinking it.

Cheers Ross

I'd be very wary, too much flouride and it'll stain and discolour your teeth instead of preventing cavities :|

The water authority is claiming its caused by the excess dirty runoff from the recent rains, but I've never noticed this in past times.
My sincere belief is it's the flouride that's been added to the water & that it's stripping the muck off the pipes & into our homes at present.
I am so happy I'm on tank water, the background info i've had on flouride scares me to death & there's no way I'd be drinking it.

Cheers Ross
...or putting it in your beer!

The Gladdy water is pretty foul too, and all my water for drinking and brewing comes through the 3 stage filter.

Cheers,
Jake

I can taste it here in the logan area of brisbane and can taste the dirty taste in the water heavily in the ipswich area, however when put through a water filter it tastes good with no bad tastes.

oh no, not the floride...

you toads are a cack :icon_cheers:

next you guys will be complaining about having teeth to brush.

oh no, not the floride...

you toads are a cack :icon_cheers:

next you guys will be complaining about having teeth to brush.

I'm sure it's not just the Toads with nothing to brush. Look at Tony ;)

toothless.jpg

If it wasnt for the gulible or corrupt councils that put the flouride in the water supply, then Alcoa and other aluminium smelting joints would have to get rid of the flouride waste product another way that would cost them money.
Much more sensible to sell it to councils and spread crap about it being good for our kids teeth.
Its a big con ladies and gentlemen and those of you who choose to believe it , drink up by all means.
Rant finished

If it wasnt for the gulible or corrupt councils that put the flouride in the water supply, then Alcoa and other aluminium smelting joints would have to get rid of the flouride waste product another way that would cost them money.
Much more sensible to sell it to councils and spread crap about it being good for our kids teeth.
Its a big con ladies and gentlemen and those of you who choose to believe it , drink up by all means.
Rant finished

Gee and this from the country that tossed safe light bulbs for the toxic ones made in China.

I heard that it's due to new pipes being opened up as part of the fluoride introduction, and it's the new pipes causing the problem. Dunno what to believe... it just tastes like dirt to me.

Latest posts

Back