Pomo's Tower Of Power!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of disposed-of Comms racks from work last month. Yesterday I dragged them down a couple of flights of stairs to the brewery/patio and popped my brewing vessels into them:

racks.jpg

Just need to cut a hole in the kettle's shelf and install another shelf for the burner. The rack on the left comes complete with 15A plugs for the two power rails. I'll be installing a water supply hose to the HLT, as well as the usual bits like sight glass, thermometers, etc.

Looks fantastic. I might have to look into this kind of setup once I get my awning up.

Nice one, got a bonus with the power setup there too. I like the idea that it's compact, looks good too. What were you using previously?

So is the version 1.1 - will version 1.2 take a few more years and slip like most other IT projects! ;-p

Go PoMo - sure we need to get together and wet the babies head.

Scotty

So is the version 1.1 - will version 1.2 take a few more years and slip like most other IT projects! ;-p

Go PoMo - sure we need to get together and wet the babies head.

Scotty

This is beta version 0.71. 1.0 will be the first running config. 1.1 will be once she's in production and tweaked. 1.2 is scheduled for the next time the project manager has 6 weeks' leave :p

etc.

Could be time for a Pearls and Swine Porter to be brewed, eh?

Nice going PoMo. We are brewrack buddies :p
See if you can get yourself some sliding shelves. That makes moving things easy.
I mounted the power rail on mine right at the top, so water can't get to it.
Oh, and is yours on wheels ?

Beers,
Doc

Yeah Doc, I remember seeing pics of your rack, which is what inspired me to start pestering the Data Centre guys for old racks. Unfortunately, this is a comms rack, so fixed shelves were the only option. Take it or leave it sort of thing. I ~think~ they're standard width, so if I can have the boys keep an eye out for disposable sliders, I'll grab them. Downside is no stabiliser feet to keep her balanced if I slide a shelf out... I plan to keep hassling the data centre guys at our other site as they're upgrading some server racks, so shelves might be an option in version 2.1. The power rails are fixed, but a good 5 inches or so off the floor. I don't plan to clean the vessels in place, so water shouldn't be a problem. I only have the immersion element to plug in anyway (at this stage), so power rail location is not a really big issue atm.

EDIT: nah, no wheels.

When the porject is fully rolled out it will be great to see if the promises of the Sales Guy and Pre-Sales staff quoted live up to the reality!

Let me guess, the Sales Guy promised higher availibility, lower cost of ownership and a maximum of wort thru-put to the volume of 10,000l per year??

The salesmen will have sold it on the basis that it can be used to make traditional ales, weizens and lambics, but the reality is they go home and drink VB, and don't know what actually is used to make beer.

The consultants will suggest that the help desk should be 'outsourced' to India in a 'multi-phased', 'customer oriented' roll out, which will be 'cheaper in the mid to long term'.

The project managers will suggest that the beer should be made with just sugar and water to cut down on costs, while they go home and drink their supply of fine wines bought with their exorbitant salaries.

The developers will want to spend copious amounts of time developing the algorithm to control the temperature of the mash tun. They will want to develop it as an object oriented system, but management will decree that it should be done in VB6.

The help desk will tell you to reboot it if you have problems...

The pre-sales guys told me the bling was all I really needed, the sales guy promised lower TCO and improved extraction, less spills and a greater user experience. The executive summary basically convinced the Minister of Domestic Affairs and the Minister for the Environment that less wort spilt meant less water used in cleanup.

The installation engineer recommended the three-piece ball valve upgrade. He said he was from a brewing background, but I reckon he was in sales.

Obviously ALL have forgot to check with order admin if the Widgets and Sillythings not critical to the performance of the core processor (the liver?) or infact the unit, are on backorder and wont ship to at least Q4. Of course it is due to the third party supplier of said product going broke whch was utterly unexpected! But as Manufacturing deam them critical to only themselves the units obviously cannot ship... absolutely...

As order Admin like most other functions are being outsourced to RTD land, they are rather miffed about loosing thier jobs and are just neglecting to let folks know that the order is in the system, or will be when they get it out of the in-tray..... which is on the other side of the building and requires one to pry themselves from thier chair and leave their Kinder Suprise collection ... which there has been thefts of occuring of late....

We share sheltered lives...

POMO.

looks good. These racks are seriously strong. You can get various size & type shelves for "comms racks" (even if they are the old 60mmx600mm jobbies). You will find that 19" rack shelves are a standard width. If you can be donated some old "server rack rails" you will get the sliders you're after. Don't forget to grab the the mounting rails off the server so you have the complete set - you might have to watch the length as most of them are designed for a 900mm deep rack. You should be able to easily fabricate some stabilisers, but if your sliders are only down low, you shouldn't have an issue. You can always bolt em to the deck or a wall :)

See if you can get the horizontal 10 way powerboards instead of the vertical ones. They can then bolt into the top like Doc suggested.

Crozdog

PoMo, Nice stand! Was thinking the same thing but possibly with the rack lying on it's side.

Anyway, I have an unused rack-mount sliding shelf you can have if it fits. It should be right, but you might have to adjust your rails a bit closer together.

PM me if you're interested. :beer:

Tim.

Thanks Tim, although it would add a cool geek feature, I don't see how I'd put it to practical use.

Didn't you want one here but were concerned about stability?

If you don't want it, no offense taken. ^_^ I'll throw the offer open to anyone in Sydney who wants to pick it up. :beer:

Tim

Back