Plumbing Ss Braided Hose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm in the process of getting set up for AG. Today, I was offered two 1 metre long of ss braided hoses, complete with 1/2" fittings. I was thinking of plumbing this onto the brewery to use from HLT thru pump to MLT (underlet), then MLT to boiler, and so on, using brass disconnects. Has anyone tried this? If so, how'd you go?

Second question, the braided hose is used for an air compressor discharge application, the hose are brand new and have never been used. Their specs are: Extruded PTFE (teflon) tube, with a stainless single wire braid. They have a temperature range of -73 degrees to 260 degrees celsuis. I've been trying to find out if they are food grade or not. Teflon, and stainless steel, I can't see a problem. I have found a similar hose, made by another manufacturer, that is approved by the FDA in the US. Would anyone knows if they are ok to use, or more importantly, not okay to use??? Any help will be great.

Cheers,
Jase

Hi There,

I'm in the process of getting set up for AG. Today, I was offered two 1 metre long of ss braided hoses, complete with 1/2" fittings. I was thinking of plumbing this onto the brewery to use from HLT thru pump to MLT (underlet), then MLT to boiler, and so on, using brass disconnects. Has anyone tried this? If so, how'd you go?

Second question, the braided hose is used for an air compressor discharge application, the hose are brand new and have never been used. Their specs are: Extruded PTFE (teflon) tube, with a stainless single wire braid. They have a temperature range of -73 degrees to 260 degrees celsuis. I've been trying to find out if they are food grade or not. Teflon, and stainless steel, I can't see a problem. I have found a similar hose, made by another manufacturer, that is approved by the FDA in the US. Would anyone knows if they are ok to use, or more importantly, not okay to use??? Any help will be great.

Cheers,
Jase

Jase,

Teflon (PTFE, PFA, etc) is inert and is FDA approved.

Cheers
Peter

P.S. Individual products (e.g. a particular hose from a particular manufacturer) don't go through an FDA approval process, the materials that will come in contact with food are FDA approved i.e. Teflon, Glass, etc are on a list of approved materials - if that makes sense.

Edit - added the P.S.

The PTFE and SS316 are completely food grade, they would even be pharma grade as well for that matter! :)

PTFE is completely inert up to a temperature of 250 Cel.

I would clean the stainless in a suitable solvent just incase there is any oil coating left from manufacture/processing.

Rob

Latest posts

Back