Stainless Braided Hoses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

Red Rocket Brewery
Reaction score
Hey Brewers,
does anyone use these stainless braided hoses for plumbing there breweries with. I think the general name for them is "easy hookers" if so are there any probs plumbing a brewery this way

beers

Franko

They certainly have the bling factor you are looking for Franko, but I,m dubious about the type of rubber that makes up the hose, I doubt very much it would be food grade mate.

cheers

BRowndog

I thought about this aswell...would love to hear others comments.

Any ideas what lengths they go up to ? I have only seen them as short lengths.

Pok

plumbing for drinking water doesn't need to be food grade?

Thats exactly what I was thinking plus they have can handle 95 degrees

Im just a bit concerned if the actual tubing is too small for flow

Franko

Pok
I've been looking at these today and the largest I've seen so far is just over half a metre

Pok
I've been looking at these today and the largest I've seen so far is just over half a metre

I guess you could easily join them with a male-male nipple....but one length would look best.

The idea of using these crossed my mind. From memory they are pretty darn cheap aswell. Less than silicon hosing at $12/m

How much are they anyway Franko?

EDIT:

These babies would be interesting (you see them on shower hand held roses') Linky

Im just a bit concerned if the actual tubing is too small for flow
If you search hard enough the subject has come up before and I cant be arsed searching for you but I recall the general consensus was that they have too small a bore to get any real flow through them when using a pump.
OTOH if bling is what you seem to be after why not ante up to silicone hose and the shiny blingy new stainless quick connects from morebeer http://morebeer.com/view_product/7642/
OTOOH who gives a damm about bling just get it brewing :)

PS if you go to a plumbing supply place then you can buy ones that are longer than 0.5m as well

Pretty sure it was $30 plus a couple of cents.

Edit: just grabbed the top cardboard bit off the packet. Can do up to 80 degrees C and handle 300psi/2.1MPa and their website is www.bostonproducts.com.au

I recall the general consensus was that they have too small a bore to get any real flow through them when using a pump.

Thats what I was thinking when I saw them today but wanted if anyone has a rig running them

cheers

Franko

go to pirtek they will make them up for you at whatever length and diameter reqd , whatever fitting on either end , they are available with a silicon hose in side them , capable of withstanding high temps , used to use them on hot oil units at a plastic extrusion factory i worked at .... dont know about them being food grade though ,, and they will be pricey ...

Franko -

I'm using one in my mash-tun at the moment. Its as the standard hosebraid-false bottom, but instead of using a normal copper tube and clamping the braid to it, I have re-used the original end piece from the easy hooker. It just screws straight onto the bit of all thread I am using for my bulkhead. Easy to take on and off for cleaning.

thusly

IMG_1689.JPG IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1696.JPG

So while I'm not running anything through the original hose, it is restricted to the bore size of the easy hooker fitting. I run a HERMS with a march802 pump and my flow rate is just fine. You cant re-circulate flat out anyway or you will compact your grain bed.

It might be an issue if you have a spot in your brewery where you think you will need the full capacity of the march... but there isn't one in mine.

Using the actual normal easy hookers as brewery transfer hoses had quite frankly (pun not intended to be funny, sorry) never occurred to me, it has now and I have a little thinking to do....

Thirsty

I have used them on my brewery, and ditched them in favour of 12mm silicone.
They look the goods, but the standard over the counter jobbies just don't have the flow rate needed, especially with a March pump.

Who says they are for drinking water? I've never seen one connected to a tap.

cheers

Browndog

Every temprite drinking water fountain at my place of employment is connected via one of these, so are the taps in my kitchen. And my place of employment kind of knows about foodgrade issues in liquid applications.

Not sure why Vlad had problems with his flow rate and a march - mine is working just fine. But, I am only running through just one connector ATM, so perhaps the line resistance of plumbing a whole system, added to the smaller bore size becomes an issue??

Vlad seems to be the only one who has actually tried to plumb his brewery with them, so I'd say his experience is the standard. But if you are brave enough to repeat the experiment for validation purposes... I'd certainly be interested in the results.

You can get bigger diameter ones, saw them in Bunnings. It'd be an exercise in bling though, they were a lot more expensive than silicon hose.

Thirsty

Every temprite drinking water fountain at my place of employment is connected via one of these, so are the taps in my kitchen. And my place of employment kind of knows about foodgrade issues in liquid applications.

Not sure why Vlad had problems with his flow rate and a march - mine is working just fine. But, I am only running through just one connector ATM, so perhaps the line resistance of plumbing a whole system, added to the smaller bore size becomes an issue??

Vlad seems to be the only one who has actually tried to plumb his brewery with them, so I'd say his experience is the standard. But if you are brave enough to repeat the experiment for validation purposes... I'd certainly be interested in the results.

You can get bigger diameter ones, saw them in Bunnings. It'd be an exercise in bling though, they were a lot more expensive than silicon hose.

Thirsty

Thanks for the info there TB, I had the impression these things may have just been a convenient method to hook up appliances and the like. A few days back, I bought a 1/2" dia 1m lenght for 7 bucks so thay are not too expensive. I'm using mine for the kettle though.

cheers

Browndog

Back