Braided ss hose in mash tun outlet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nodrog

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been standard practice or not, but might be worth sharing.

Building the ghetto mash tun, eski, with s/s braided hose from plumbing shop (dishwasher connection hose, etc)

Rather than remove both ends of the hose and put the braided sheath onto a hose barb I managed to remove just one end, and the rubber tube inside, and can use the loose nut connection, 1/2in, to thread straight onto the 1/2in nipple coming into the eski.

1- Cut off one end of the hose assembly, taping up the braid to stop it unravelling.
2- pull as mucgh of the inner tube out as possible, 50mm or so, making the braid bunch up.
3- At the other end, just next to where the crimp is onto the nut part, get a small phillips screwdriver, and jiggle it through between the braids, opening them up.
4- once through the braids, ram it through the tube, piercing it all tg\he way through to the opposite side as well.
5- repeat 90 degrees around the hose.
6- Rather than clamp the nut in a vice, rest it behind the vice, with the vice loosely closed around the hose.
7- Grab the rubber insert with a pair pliers at the other end and pull like hell.
8- If you got a cheap and nasty enough hose assembly the rubber tube will break where you pierced it, and you'll fall flat on your back, proudly holding 400mm of rubber tube in your pliers.
9- Left in the vice is a s/s braided hose, with no insert, and with one loose nut connection still attached, ideal for conencting straight to the mash tun bulkhead fitting.

The nut / crimp assembly is unknown materials, chromed brass i suspect, so may not last in the mash, but we'll see.

Hopefully of value for others.

G

Gryphon Brewing said:
Or a more simple approach is HERE And we do the falling over for you :lol:
Nev

How is that ghetto though?

I really like this idea, I've been messing with the idea of making a manifold for a mash tun but I might try this first and save some coin just incase I decide I prefer BIAB.

Cheers.

This worked for me. I used a small metal skewer but a needle would be better to not distort the braid.
No more bag squeezing for us! Is my hose too long?
IMG_20131001_121155.jpg

Latest posts

Back