Pliny The Elder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The madman who concocted this beer is at ANHC this year.

Should be a good show, because I'd love to find out how he crammed so many hops into his beer.

Shame it's in Canberra. :-/

With regard to that hop bittering extract stuff - I've been using it for about 6 months or so. I brewed a double IPA for my mates birthday earlier in the year and used some I got from my LHBS. There was nothing to indicate who made it, what hops it was extracted from etc.

I used 27ml in a 38l batch at the start of the boil and I used about 600g of pellet hops at flameout and dry hopping. A sample of my finished beer was tested at the local university and the IBU was 62.5.

For my next batch of Pliny clone Ill probably use about 45ml at the start of the boil and not bother with a 45 minute addition.

I bet the bloke doing the IBU testing was happy. Did he get those readings from his own personal taste test technique? haha. What amount of IBU's are you aiming for Kranky?

Clarkholio said:
I bet the bloke doing the IBU testing was happy. Did he get those readings from his own personal taste test technique? haha. What amount of IBU's are you aiming for Kranky?
The samples were very small and I understand the testing process was a proper scientific method. I was actually aiming for about 80-90 IBU's so was it was good to get an idea of how much to use. On the bottle it said to use 3-5ml per 23l batch. I'd used 30ml in the other batches I've brewed with it with really no other information whatsoever. Hopefully now I have a clue how much to use.

HBHB said:
If fermentation is actually finished, consider racking it to a second vessel, and do the dry hopping cold. Less yeast to chew on the hops and less of the vegetal note will come through at the colder temperature. If you're careful with sanitising and do it in a closed circuit, there's no huge risk.

Martin
Russian River suggest that you'll get more hop aroma in the beer at warmer temps and suggest that option for homebrewers
That's what I'm trying, but also crashing the beer overnight before kegging. Also recommended is flushing the keg and any equipment with CO2 to stave off the deleterious effects of Oxygen.
Ruckus said:
Just out of curiosity, how much did the uni sting you for the test?
Ruckus, MHB got some tests done on Ross's 200 IBU beer a while back. Maybe he can advise the cost. See you at the next HUB meeting, guy. Will see if we can get a ride in.

I have a clone of Heady Topper on the last dry hop at the moment too. Equally as good, and very heavy on the hip pocket in terms of having to buy a load of hops! Thankfully I had a big chunk of them on hand as it was, from Pliny, but this is the Heady clone:

23 litre batch @ 72% total efficiency:

6.4kg Maris Otter (91.5%)
170g Caraamber (recipe calls for something else but we don't get it, Briess being difficult IIRC)
425g Turbinado sugar (I ran out at 300g so used 125 dark brown sugar as an experiment)

21.2g Columbus @ 60
28.8 Simcoe @ 30
28.8 Apollo, Cascade, Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe steeped for 30 mins at flameout

Ferment down to about 1.012, dry hop 1 week on 28.8g each Apollo, Simcoe, Chinook. Rack off, dry hop 28.8g each Simcoe and Centennial. Keg/bottle carb and enjoy

fattox said:
I have a clone of Heady Topper on the last dry hop at the moment too. Equally as good, and very heavy on the hip pocket in terms of having to buy a load of hops! Thankfully I had a big chunk of them on hand as it was, from Pliny, but this is the Heady clone:

23 litre batch @ 72% total efficiency:

6.4kg Maris Otter (91.5%)
170g Caraamber (recipe calls for something else but we don't get it, Briess being difficult IIRC)
425g Turbinado sugar (I ran out at 300g so used 125 dark brown sugar as an experiment)

21.2g Columbus @ 60
28.8 Simcoe @ 30
28.8 Apollo, Cascade, Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe steeped for 30 mins at flameout

Ferment down to about 1.012, dry hop 1 week on 28.8g each Apollo, Simcoe, Chinook. Rack off, dry hop 28.8g each Simcoe and Centennial. Keg/bottle carb and enjoy
Update - this beer is worth the time!

Back