Please Proof My Apa Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enerjex

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm keen to brew a nice hoppy APA. I enjoy little creatures so this is the direction I'm looking at for this recipe. I've adapted it from various posts I've read on here using beersmith to adapt it for my equipment and extract method.

Recipe: Genuine Pale Ale #1
Brewer: Enerjex
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 19.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Liquid Extract (5.3 EBC) Extract 68.2 %
0.50 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 11.4 %
0.45 kg Caraamber (Weyermann) (70.9 EBC) Grain 10.2 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 5.7 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (130 EBC) Grain 4.5 %
30.00 gm Chinook [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 21.3 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (7 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU

Thankyou very much :)

Dry hopping about 25gm of cascade will increase the aroma characteristic of the style.

Dry hopping about 25gm of cascade will increase the aroma characteristic of the style.

I'll second that, I have an identical batch of APA split in two kegs, one dry hopped with 25 grams of Amarillo and one without. The dry hopped keg is bing emptied at a much greater rate :p .

This has me concerned.

13% @ 60 mins gives you more like 55IBU
but that is with a full boil. I do understand your doing a 10L boil then adding water in the fermenter. A good hint I found was to do all the maths on a full size boil then half the boil but only add half the malt at the beginning of the boil, add the remainder of the malt 5-10mins before the end of the boil.

I think I recall reading somewhere that the software doesnt like you putting the boil size smaller than the final product.

Anyone??

so should i dry hop another 25g of cascade in addition to the 25g at 1min or replace the 1 min addition.

i've read about the ibu concern with small boils you speak of oldbugman, but i've done a few batches using beersmith and this boil size with por hops and it seems to come out well. if it comes out wrong i can adjust for next time i guess.

You've got yourself an American Amber there - similar to Little Creature's Rogers beer (but higher alc%). If you want something closer to LCPA, I'd drop the Caraamber.

And I'll second the dry hopping - happy brewing :beer:

Dude,
Nice beer, good looking recipe, nice malts, possibly kick the CaraAmber if you're looking for a pale, and sadly your main fault is: it needs more hops! I think the amounts are ok, but spice it up a bit, throw some Chinook further down the list, maye at the 15 min mark. Maybe up the final aroma addition to, I don't know, 50g, and get a serious kick of aroma. And yes, dry hop. In the secondary, and in the keg if you wish (make sure to use a tea ball or similar to avoid dip tube cloggage). But give it some balls.

Cheers,
TIM

On the hop front....I wouldn't be adding 30gms of chinook at 60 mins; you'll have a danger of the beer coming pure grapefruit (unless that's what you want). Use amarillo, simcoe, or even Northern Brewer for some neutal bittering.

cheers Ross

On the hop front....I wouldn't be adding 30gms of chinook at 60 mins; you'll have a danger of the beer coming pure grapefruit (unless that's what you want). Use amarillo, simcoe, or even Northern Brewer for some neutal bittering.

cheers Ross
I'll agree with that. a little chinook goes a looooong way, almost too far for my liking

Great thankyou very much for all the input. My revised recipe is as follows:

Asst Brewer:

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 15.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
3.00 kg Pale Liquid Extract (5.3 EBC) Extract 67.4 %
1.00 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 22.5 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 5.6 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (130.0 EBC) Grain 4.5 %
45.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.4 IBU

Dry hopping 25g Cascade into fermenter or cold conditioning (not sure if i'll cc it yet).

One suggestion was to add more hops, I might start here for this one and see how it goes, i can always add hops in future batches but not take them out of this one if I put too much in.

Sorry another important thing I didn't list, will be using US-05 yeast.

10g of Chinook at 15min wouldn't hurt... replace some of the Cascade with it, or some of the Amarillo if you want extra bang. Should give it a little hint of spiciness.

One suggestion was to add more hops, I might start here for this one and see how it goes, i can always add hops in future batches but not take them out of this one if I put too much in.

...put too much in :blink: ? This is not possible :p

Although I agree with the comments about Chinook - be careful using too much at ANY stage, particularly for bittering. 10gm works well for a flame-out addition (I think Lil Creatures use it in the hop-back). I think they use Goldings for bittering, and a heap of Cascade throughout.

...put too much in :blink: ? This is not possible :p

Although I agree with the comments about Chinook - be careful using too much at ANY stage, particularly for bittering. 10gm works well for a flame-out addition (I think Lil Creatures use it in the hop-back). I think they use Goldings for bittering, and a heap of Cascade throughout.
i actually read somewhere that chinook was the bittering hop in LCPA, but like they say, don't believe everything you read.

in my apa's i go for 14g of chinook at 60 mins with 14g of cascade at 20 mins and 28g of cascade at 10 mins

if you're just extracting, i would say skip the chinook altogether and go with plenty of cascade late in the boil....

Great thankyou very much for all the input. My revised recipe is as follows:
Asst Brewer:

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 15.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
3.00 kg Pale Liquid Extract (5.3 EBC) Extract 67.4 %
1.00 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 22.5 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 5.6 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (130.0 EBC) Grain 4.5 %
45.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.4 IBU

Dry hopping 25g Cascade into fermenter or cold conditioning (not sure if i'll cc it yet).

Sorry another important thing I didn't list, will be using US-05 yeast.

Will make a lovely beer mate, but you are still well into the malty side of an APA. Some would say that the amount of Munich you have there will "muddy" the hop flavour, rather than balance it.

Would bring the Munich back down to 500gm, and add equivalent to you base extract or replace with 500gm pale malt.

Less is more ;)

I don't intend to hijack a thread, BUT, I had my first Little Creatures last night and am keen to try and replicate it myself. Thought it best to post here....

I am a kit and extract brewer with no experience at partial mashing. Can I try to follow the above recipe but use only extracts, specialty grains and the hop additions as outlined? If so, any advice?

Should I attempt a partial mash instead.... how do I go about this?

Cheers!

I don't intend to hijack a thread, BUT, I had my first Little Creatures last night and am keen to try and replicate it myself. Thought it best to post here....

I am a kit and extract brewer with no experience at partial mashing. Can I try to follow the above recipe but use only extracts, specialty grains and the hop additions as outlined? If so, any advice?

Should I attempt a partial mash instead.... how do I go about this?

Cheers!

You could easily make a little creatures type using extract and specialty grains. The above recipe would be a good starting point, but use something like beersmith to check differences in hop utilisation etc.

Essentially if you use something similar you'd be fine.

A partial mash definitely adds character and complexity to your beer, and is a good idea, but not necessary for something like an APA so much.

I would recommend, from experience, doing a few extract with specialty grain beers until you are fairly comfortable with the whole process, then start adding mini-mashes in. With very very little extra equipment it is easy to do a small mash using almost the same process. All you do is control your steep a little better...

Thanks mate....

I checked out Beersmith for the first time. Good recipes there aswell as the calculating software. Got some interesting ideas!

Looking forward to partial mashes and eventually AG, but will keep it simple for now. Happy to go ahead with it all extract!

Latest posts

Back