Please help first BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eats shop

Reaction score
Hi guys so I'm attempting my first BIAB. Everything was rolling well Until I've tried to get my 50lt pot to boil. It isn't possible next time I'll be making some changes.
I've decided to add the hops anyway and do a 90min "boil" that isn't boiling while doing the hop additions.
Will this work or am I wasting my time?

Also can I add the wort into the fermenter and add the airlock to cool it?
Thanks guys.

It'll work, but it's very difficult to determine the hop isomerisation accurately. That said, if your system is at least consistent/repeatable, you could work around it and adjust up and down.

Have you tried boiling with a lid covering, say, 2/3rds of the top? What about a neoprene (or Kmart yoga mat) jacket around the top majority of the pot (and well away from the burner).

Thanks mate.
Okay I guess this one will be very hit and miss. I've got it cooling ATM in the fermenter not sure if this will work either. The OG was 1061.
I didn't do that I'll grab a yoga Mat next time or I might have a small fire outside and have it on bricks. (Has anyone tried this)
Cherrs

What are you using to boil ? Gas or electric ? It’s pretty important to get things to a rolling boil. If you can - add a powerful (relatively cheap) has burner.

I tried both my gas and induction tops and neither worked. I unfortunately didn't have my two ring burner with me.
I've got it in the fermentation fridge and will just take it as a learning curve.
Cheers heaps

went through the same in the kicthen & also BBQ.... bought the powerful gas burner & never looked back.

my non boil (partial boil) kitchen brews did work out though! so good luck - maybe its all good

cheers

Guy I used to work with said he could never get beer to boil on his stove. Said he spent the whole 90 minutes with a spoon stirring it constantly trying to emulate a boil. Said he got good results.

If you prefer to be able to brew inside one option would be to get an over the side electrical element. You could plug in it to a standard power outlet and that would probably give you the boil you are looking for.

I use 2 of these in my 70L kettle to get me to the boil and one to keep it there so that is an option as well and then you can brew anywhere you can access to seperate power circuits.

When I started BIAB a brewer showed me his hack to get to a boil on a $20 camping stove. Use a one or two takeaway or tupperware containers. Sit them one top of the wort during the boil. It has something to do with reduced surface area so the temp can get up to a rolling boil. Steam can still escape as usual. Works well.

Back