Please Check Ezwater Calc Figures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Hello gents,

Could someone please check my ezy water calc figures as I am still learning how to use it. The beer is a black IPA with an IBU 0f 50.

Here is my input details based on my water profile.

ezwater1.PNG

And here are the results. I basically added SO4 until its was between 170-200 then balanced it with CACL to bring it within 50-150 which kept the bitterness level at .55. Ive also added some mgSO4 as my water supply was low and 1ml of lactic acid to bring the PH down slightly.

ezwater2.PNG

Just a couple of quick questions, when you guys add the mash water additions do you add it to the HLT or the mashtun direct just before dough in? And Ive read its okay to add the sparge additions direct to the boil kettle but is this done after mashout or at SOB, when all runnings are in the kettle?

Thanks heaps.

Hello gents,

Could someone please check my ezy water calc figures as I am still learning how to use it. The beer is a black IPA with an IBU 0f 50.

Here is my input details based on my water profile.

View attachment 59515

And here are the results. I basically added SO4 until its was between 170-200 then balanced it with CACL to bring it within 50-150 which kept the bitterness level at .55. Ive also added some mgSO4 as my water supply was low and 1ml of lactic acid to bring the PH down slightly.

View attachment 59516

Just a couple of quick questions, when you guys add the mash water additions do you add it to the HLT or the mashtun direct just before dough in? And Ive read its okay to add the sparge additions direct to the boil kettle but is this done after mashout or at SOB, when all runnings are in the kettle?

Thanks heaps.

That looks about right and it certainly should provide more character to your beer than the relative clean water you are blessed with. I would caution about bringing the chloride level that high when you are adding a lot of sulfate. Those ions can start to have an antagonistic flavor effect when they are both high. I prefer to keep chloride well under 100 ppm in this case.

Do not rely on the sulfate/chloride ratio to produce a strong effect on bittering or maltiness. The ratio only helps the drinker perceive those characteristics, it does not produce them. You have to rely on the malt and/or bittering levels to really effect those perceptions. I suggest you visit the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website to learn a bit more on how this issue should be treated.

Mineral additions can be added to the mashing water at any time before mashing. Either the HLT or tun are OK. Make sure you mix them well to allow them to dissolve. The sparging additions can be added to either the HLT or kettle.

Thanks heaps for the feedback. I will check out that article you mention

Cheers

Back