• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Plate Heat Exchangers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrissyBrew

MashMaster
Reaction score
I have inappropriately leaked this information elsewhere so I thought I would post it here.

I am getting some plate heat exchangers manufactured. I hope to have the “ChillOut” on the market for less than $90.00AU. If you are interested you will need to wait, it will be a couple months at least before they arrive.

A little information and Q & A:

304 Stainless Steel construction

male NPT threads (will also fit BSP fittings)

20 plates (some people think the number is important, it is not)

Surface area is about the same as the Shirron.
I could not justify more for the average person doing a 23 to 50L (5 -10gal) batch, unless I wanted to cater for the impatient market that are pumping the wort through at max flow. A greater surface area is simply not needed you hit a point of diminishing marginal returns, not just in cost but efficiency too. If you really want better returns you need to chill your cooling fluid. Which for Australians is what I suggest, as my tap water can reach 35*C in summer and is above 30*C for much of the year. Pumping some ice water, or glycol around will serve you much better and waste less water! My two cents worth chill your cooling water.

The plate pattern has an effect on cooling and hops clogging things up. The plates have ripples these ripples or ridges create turbulence and this is what disturbs the laminar flow, and hence results a better exchange of heat. Some patterns are more effective than others, however some are more prone to clogging with hop and hot break particles. My simple advice on that is install a decent pre-filter. Whirlpool and use a fine mesh filter. Cold break does not seem to be a problem for clogging unlike hops and hotbreak.

I am aiming for a product that will cost you less than a coil of copper, let alone the fittings, be made from stainless steel (the plates) and have 1/2" SS male fittings all ready to go. I wanted a decent chiller at a reasonable price, and could not find one, so now I am making them. The MashMaster "ChillOut" will not be on the market for a couple months at least.

In the meantime I am looking at designing a pre-filter or coming up with a solution that should work for everybody.

Great work Frank :beerbang: Cant wait for the end result.

Cheers JJ

This is great news Brissy and ditto Chippy's order for me!

Cheers
PP

The prefilter still has me miffed to be quiet honest.

My first preference is for a prefilter that is not installed inside your kettle, that way people can use it in addition to whatever system they use for the pickup, bazooka T etc as the first filter.

I am thinking more of a second stage filter. I want something that can drain by gravity and the resistence of a filter is a hassle, the larger the mesh area the bigger the filter and up goes the product cost and the postage etc. My first stage filter being a bit of stainless mesh from BigW for $1.00 at present works well on my pickup tube. If I make a hopback it implies the use of hole hops to form a filter bed. A stainless hop back that seals under pressure with fine mesh filter and large surface area would be great but is $$$ so it out for the time being. Although I note the likes of the therminator and shirron leave it to the brewer to work out a filter mechanism for themselfs.

I was under the impression that pellet hops were the only problem with PHE's Cold break no problem. Maybe it is time to start brewing with hop bags like Ross does. Then all you have to do is whirlpool and drain. ;)

Cheers, JJ

Love ya work Brissy brew,

Your product is certainly on my list with the filter as well. I did my first partial yesterday without any of these items and realised what a benefit a good chiller would be (had to ice bath then whirlpool, and pour gently once cool!)

:eek:

Will keep a lookout for your updates.

Cheers,

SJ

Ninety bucks sounds a good price :)

Pumpy

Are you getting the plates pressed or solder great work you got a sale from me

Sintax69
The plates are brazed together in an oxygen free furnace.

Frank,
Please put me down for one.

Cheers
Paul

Sounds good, starting to get some AG gear together so this is on my to get list.

Well Brizzy, sounds bloody good! If you can do these for $90 well I will be getting one. I already have a CFC so plate is the only upgrade from here :)

Was in "Cheers" micro brewpub for lunch today and was lucky enough to catch the brewer in full swing (could smell the kettle as soon as I walked in :wub: ).
It was very impressive to see the plate chiller in action there - very fast throughput with cold wort getting pumped straight to the conicals.
I think a plate chiller is definitely on my to buy list.

Hoops

BrissyBrew said:
I have inappropriately leaked this information elsewhere so I thought I would post it here.
I am aiming for a product that will cost you less than a coil of copper, let alone the fittings, be made from stainless steel (the plates) and have 1/2" SS male fittings all ready to go.

A chiller with stainless where it really counts and bonus turbulent flow :eek:

You can put me down for one Brissybrew when they become available.

Damm, I just receive my Shirron plate heat exchanger today from more beer, at greater cost.
Will be plumbing it in as part of my brewery upgrade in the coming months, cant wait :p . Hope the beer supply lasts till its all up and running again. <_<

Update: The goods have surfaced from their milk run through SE Asia's ports. Its a long story but the goods have now been redirected to correct port. What's all this mean if you expressed interest.

I hope to have the units in the first week of June, fingers crossed.
The bad news is it is only a sample order of 50 units for testing.

Brissy

Put me down for one. Will also be ordering a fridgemate from ya

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back