Plate Filter.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domonsura

Beer stuff maker
Reaction score
Well I did an ale brew recently using a yeast (American Ale II) that just plain refuses to drop out regardless of having been at 0 degrees for 3 weeks now. And while I was standing there noticing that my very expensive to run commercial fridge is already starting to develop condensation on it's (supposedly double glazed) doors, I came to the conclusion that cc'ing my beers over summer is going to be a costly affair. As it was I relegated this fridge to ferment fridge to reduce the amount of time it spends running to minimise the scarey power bills that appeared when I got it.

I've played around with a pleated filter cartridge in the water filter housing, and despite everyone else mentioning really good results, the first time I tried it, it filtered literally nothing out of the beer. Then I managed to block it up completely with the next try. Then I managed to bump too much pressure through it and perforated the filter paper. So all in all, not a good run, I think I must be too rough or too impatient or something :huh:

So anyway, I've been checking out a little plate filter, and today it arrived....:)

platefilter.JPG

Retail therapy. Gotta love it. No more cloudy beers for me. :)

Let me be the first to say DEAD FCKING SEXY :D

... BUT we need to see the money shot, wheres the filtered beer?

Haven't done one yet, will be this weekend in amongst getting some work done. Apparently it will run 50 litres through in less than 5 minutes.... :eek: ......which is perfect, because I think I must be the most impatient person in the world..:) I'm going to have to up my batch size now....

uhhhh...but if I put the price up here then my missus will find out how much I really paid for it....... :eek:

But seriously, just over $600, but it will pay for itself quickly enough just because I won't be bothering run the electricity eater to cc anything now.

$4 :) Not exactly exorbitant in my books.
Mate, that would be a bloody awsome chrismas pressie, Im considering to surprise myself with something like that, just need to know, how to get one.

:icon_cheers:

Mate, that would be a bloody awsome chrismas pressie, Im considering to surprise myself with something like that, just need to know, how to get one.

They pay you brain surgeons too much Zwickle ;)

Pumpy :)

Yeah Pumpy I know, but I just couldn't seem to get it to work for me. But it just gave an excuse to get a new toy :)

Zwickel - it's christmas for me today! I thought I would be in the s**t with the better half for buying this, but she immediately pointed out that it would save money because I wouldn't have to run the fridge at 0 degrees anymore. Who'd have thought she was listening when I was talking about cold conditioning :huh:

I love my wife, she lets me make beer :wub:

But anyway, I can get more of them, $648 if you want me to send you one.......(I know, you were just joking....:) )

Must sayDomonsura it has a very high Bling factor B)

Pumpy

MAN THAT IS HOT...... under $650 for one seems like a pretty good price, looks like a serious piece of gear. I wonder if they are suitable for wine and beer??? I guess they would be with interchangeable pads??

Where can we find info on these Dom?

Cheers, Pok :D

pumpy said:
They pay you brain surgeons too much Zwickle wink.gif
I dont think so Pumpy, I have to brew my own beer, because cant effort to buy industrial beers :p

.... but she immediately pointed out that it would save money....
thats the point! I told the missus that Ive to drink more beer now, because she told me, the more beer I drink, the more money Im going to save :)

But anyway, I can get more of them, $648 if you want me to send you one.......(I know, you were just joking....smile.gif )

No mate, never Id be joking about serious things like that, honestly I can tell you that I have two wishes now: first Id like tu purchase the Mashmaster Mill and second your brandnew filtering machine.
Anyway, at the end of the year Ill be in Australia and this trip will be dedicated to beer only :rolleyes:
I guess, have to pay overweight when Im going back home.

are there smaller lower capacity models available?

I jusy had a filtering nightmare with the pleated cartridge with some 1318 thet refuses to drop out. Its worse than wheat yeast.

50 liters in 10 min sounds good. I do 50 liter batches.

cheers

Yes, they're good for wine or beer. What information would you like pok?
I was looking at putting them on as a stock line, but to be honest I didn't really think anyone else would be interested because of the $$ factor! I'll get you some more info if you want.

Yes, they're good for wine or beer. What information would you like pok?
I was looking at putting them on as a stock line, but to be honest I didn't really think anyone else would be interested because of the $$ factor! I'll get you some more info if you want.

Mate if you could get me ANY info would be great. We are looking to set up a small winery on our vineyard and that on top of a couple of variable capacity tanks would be a great addition.

Cheers, Pok

I have a plate filter.
It won't remove chill haze but then again none will and it slows up a fair bit when you put more than about 25 litres through it.
With a 50 litre batch I found that I had to stop and fit new pads.
The pads were expensive and are not able to be cleaned and re-used.
All in all not the best bit of brewing gear that I have laid out good money for.
I would try yours on 25 litres before I rushed in and upgraded the batch size based on the filtering capacity.

Cheers

I am already calculating how long it will take to save up $650 in gold coins in the ashtray of a Kluger...

No problem, may be able to help you with the variable capacity tanks as well ......

Dicko, the pads can't be re-used (at least thats what they tell me) but they are only like $1 each, and I may stand to be corrected (I bloody hope not though), but I doubt they'd sell any of them if they stopped working at 25 litres.
I'll bang a brew though mine before I comment further, but I'll be one very suprised person if it's performance is so lacking....

Back