Plate Filter.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are there smaller lower capacity models available?

I jusy had a filtering nightmare with the pleated cartridge with some 1318 thet refuses to drop out. Its worse than wheat yeast.

50 liters in 10 min sounds good. I do 50 liter batches.

cheers

Tony....you closet filterer you.... :D

+++

Nice looking gear Domonsura... I filter 50 to 100L at a time & have no issues with a single pleated cartridge...but I do love toys...stop tempting me B)

cheers Ross

No problem, may be able to help you with the variable capacity tanks as well ......

Dicko, the pads can't be re-used (at least thats what they tell me) but they are only like $1 each, and I may stand to be corrected (I bloody hope not though), but I doubt they'd sell any of them if they stopped working at 25 litres.
I'll bang a brew though mine before I comment further, but I'll be one very suprised person if it's performance is so lacking....

I'd be a bit worried about its filtering capacity as well if you are clogging up a pleated filter. A pleated filter has a filtering surface area of 6sq ft. Even going through several decending filter pads, i'd be surprised if that set up has the same effective filtering area. Look forward your results on a cloudy beer...

cheers Ross

That's not stainless steel! SHAME ON YOU! :D

No problem, may be able to help you with the variable capacity tanks as well ......

If you can do 1000 ltr stainless variable capacity tanks for around $1500 I'm listening. (WINE TANKS)... even if it s more I am still interested.

Pok

Dicko, the pads can't be re-used (at least thats what they tell me) but they are only like $1 each, and I may stand to be corrected (I bloody hope not though), but I doubt they'd sell any of them if they stopped working at 25 litres.
I'll bang a brew though mine before I comment further, but I'll be one very suprised person if it's performance is so lacking....

Hi Domonsura,

The one I have is a three pad unit and it works well if I let the beer settle out in the secondary and chill it for a couple of days prior to filtering and stick to 25 litres.
The unit you have looks a bit more industrial.
As I said it will not cure chill haze but neither will a pleated cartridge.
If your filter pads are the same as mine I would be interested in buying some at a $dollar a set.
I have put up the link to the one I have with the all the details prices etc.

http://www.ibrew.com.au/html/equipment/wineequipmentset.html

Cheers

I'm running a brew through tomorrow Dicko, I'll post a pic of the results :) How big are the filter pads for yours? Geez they charge like wounded bulls for those pads for yours don't they?!!

I'm running a brew through tomorrow Dicko, I'll post a pic of the results :) How big are the filter pads for yours? Geez they charge like wounded bulls for those pads for yours don't they?!!

Dom,

The filter pads I have measure approx 150mm x 130mm.
They have two holes about 7/16" in opposing corners and are stepped on two sides and in the stepped section they are about 3/8" narrower to fit the pad housing.
My set up is great for 19 ltr kegs but those pads are toooooo expensive.
Let us know tomorrow how your unit goes.

Cheers

That looks cool and all Dom but..............
American ale II shouldn't have caused you to go out and spend 600 odd bucks
That yeast floccs and clears very well.
This pic is two weeks after it was pitched, grain to brain!

15_10_07_2304.jpg

Now remember, Zwickel, about the "no filtering anymore" edict... ;)

But that would look good in your cellar...

WJ

Damn it, here I am trying to save enough spare change to buy a Mashmaster Mil and something like this turns up - thankfully its not stainless steel.

only in my cellar? I feel like a girl in front of beautiful diamond :rolleyes: maybe no need to have, but its beautiful if :lol:

Ha! I have the same feelings! ;)

Alex

BTW: I'm still waiting for the post man to bring me my just ebayed Filtre cascade...

EDIT: Winkle, it's available in stainless steel, too...

Well I did an ale brew recently using a yeast (American Ale II) that just plain refuses to drop out regardless of having been at 0 degrees for 3 weeks now. And while I was standing there noticing that my very expensive to run commercial fridge is already starting to develop condensation on it's (supposedly double glazed) doors, I came to the conclusion that cc'ing my beers over summer is going to be a costly affair. As it was I relegated this fridge to ferment fridge to reduce the amount of time it spends running to minimise the scarey power bills that appeared when I got it.

I've played around with a pleated filter cartridge in the water filter housing, and despite everyone else mentioning really good results, the first time I tried it, it filtered literally nothing out of the beer. Then I managed to block it up completely with the next try. Then I managed to bump too much pressure through it and perforated the filter paper. So all in all, not a good run, I think I must be too rough or too impatient or something :huh:

So anyway, I've been checking out a little plate filter, and today it arrived....:)

platefilter.JPG

Retail therapy. Gotta love it. No more cloudy beers for me. :)

Looks like a small, very small version of the ones that I use at work. Even looks like it has an inbuilt pump? Was wondering about the loss that one would expect through it. I know from experince that the more you filter the less the loss. I may have to call through sometime to have a gander. I assume you may be using what I would call 60s filter pads or similar.

BYB

Love it Dom,

that's what mash brewing is all about - Toys for the Boys!

I'd be a bit worried about its filtering capacity as well if you are clogging up a pleated filter. A pleated filter has a filtering surface area of 6sq ft. Even going through several decending filter pads, i'd be surprised if that set up has the same effective filtering area. Look forward your results on a cloudy beer...

cheers Ross
I am having trouble visualising the size from the picture posted, but plate and frame filters are volume filters, they can cope with a much higher loading than pleated filters (something like 5 x more from memory of a course in the distant past) so I'm figuring it's going to do the job better than a pleated cartridge filter.

But, all these filters will filter out more crap if you chill your wort down first, and they will filter out yet more stuff if you leave your beer chilled for a couple of days; it takes time for the whole solids settling out of beer thing to happen.

But, I am so with Jayse about not needing to filter 1272. It's a little bit of a slow fermenter, but it flocks very well.

I look forward to hearing about your experience Dom.

Bring on the Bling!

Keith

And while I was standing there noticing that my very expensive to run commercial fridge is already starting to develop condensation on it's (supposedly double glazed) doors, I came to the conclusion that cc'ing my beers over summer is going to be a costly affair. As it was I relegated this fridge to ferment fridge to reduce the amount of time it spends running to minimise the scarey power bills that appeared when I got it.
Of course you could buy a bit of insulation to save still more. On my three door commercial I am up to sisalation and a layer of camp mat on the inside of the fridge doors and a layer of camp mat on the outside. Seems to make a difference to the condensation on the door and aluminium surround. I've been running mine at serving temp's (6-8) rather than 0 so not as much of an issue for me.

Of course you could buy a bit of insulation to save still more. On my three door commercial I am up to sisalation and a layer of camp mat on the inside of the fridge doors and a layer of camp mat on the outside. Seems to make a difference to the condensation on the door and aluminium surround. I've been running mine at serving temp's (6-8) rather than 0 so not as much of an issue for me.

yep enoch, I'm looking at putting insulation on the doors as well, but it's an old beast and costs a fortune to run even at serving temps, so even then I'd prefer to use it for 'chilling' less than more.
It's possible I overpitched the Am Ale II a little this time or something (I don't really know), last time I used it straight out of the smackpack it didn't fire and I ended up losing 60 litres of beer (someone told me not to expect much in the way of krausen from this yeast, so I unfortunately just sat there and watched the batch get infected with something else)
This time I used my newly made stir plate to make up nearly 2 litres of starter, and the ferment I got from it was MUCH more like what I was expecting - krausen like MAD, and looking through the top of it, it still looks cloudy to me. Actually I've just headed out and grabbed a sample out of the fermenter - it's not that bad, just not perfect - probably only as cloudy as is to be expected but I am pursuing nice bright beer with very little waiting :)

Just trying to decide how to soak the filter pads prior to use with minimum of wastage, apparently I have to do it in beer. Wonder how much precious liquid that will take? That's kind of what I meant by upping the batch size before, to counter for wastage and to make most efficient use of the pads.

BYB - yes it has a 1700l/hr pump built in. The pads are number 16's, 1 micron. You're welcome to call past for a beer & a look if you are ever in the area.

Keith - the pads are around 250mm square and about 4mm thick. This one's only the little 6 plate, which limits the cost of filter pads, it looks as though I can filter with as little as 3 pads in the machine which is what I'm planning on trying first.

Jayse - we both know I probably would have ended up buying something like this anyway :lol: , it wasn't just the Am Ale yeast that caused it, more a culmination of wanting to use some other yeasts that perhaps don't floc so well, and hating suspended yeast in my beer. :)

I looked at the stainless one (of COURSE I did) but I just didn't think it was necessary.

Just trying to decide how to soak the filter pads prior to use with minimum of wastage, apparently I have to do it in beer. Wonder how much precious liquid that will take? That's kind of what I meant by upping the batch size before, to counter for wastage and to make most efficient use of the pads.

Keith - the pads are around 250mm square and about 4mm thick. This one's only the little 6 plate, which limits the cost of filter pads, it looks as though I can filter with as little as 3 pads in the machine which is what I'm planning on trying first.

Hi Dom,

That unit seems to be just a larger version of what I have although the pads seem to be the same.

If I may quote from the instruction leaflet that came with mine re soaking the pads.-

"Remove the pads from the package and place them in a clean container with enough fresh water to cover the pads and allow them to soak (approx 5 mins). Make sure the pads are not bunched together while soaking, allow the water to saturate on both sides of the 3 pads."

It then goes into detail on how to fit the pads and the tubing to the filter and then follows up by stating.-

"Upon commencing your filtration the beer/wine will push out the water which remains in the pads via your out take tube. Allow the water to flow out prior to placing the hose into the cube or keg which will hold your filtered product"

I hope this may help as you may not need to waste valuable beer to soak the pads.

In theory my unit works quit well on small batches but it was a PITA with a 50 litre batch and the cost of the pads were rediculous.
I would like to compare the pads as it appears the pads in your unit look to be the same as mine.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

edit spelling;

Back