Plastic Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65bellett

Reaction score
This might be a silly question but the thread on how many fermenters got me thinking. I have a fermenter which was my first and scarily it is coming up for 10 years of service. I use it regularly and don't have any problems. It is still snow white and has had the taps and seals repalced regularly. The only difference I can tell between the old girl and my newer fermenters is the old one has a really strong beer smell.

So I would like to know is it time to retire my old kit or can I expect to hand it down to my Grand kiddies.

it's good practice to buy a fresh one every couple of years and retire the oldest one to less active duties IMO.

The beer smell is nothing a bit of bleach and water can't get rid of

I'd only be worried if you get an infection or if the fermenter has some serious scratches on the inside or if the beer smell is somehow tainting other batches

Cheers

I just post in the How many fermenters do you have tread that I own a 23ltr fermenter. This was hand down to me from my father and as far as I can remember he bought it in the early 70s. I still use it for small batches and it works fine.

it's good practice to buy a fresh one every couple of years and retire the oldest one to less active duties IMO.

Tangent....why?

If theres nothing wrong with it , why replace it.

Rook

for a start, i'd rather have a few more fermenters, and replace them BEFORE the infection. I use the old ones for grain storage, chiller water, racking etc.
also, mine are getting like a beerstone coating which is only removed by scrubbing with scratchy stuff. yes i've tried napisan etc.

fermenter in regular use + 10 yrs service + good cleaning practice = keep using it.

i'd be surprised if the age of the fermenter was the sole cause of an infection. like others have said, if the smell isnt impacting on the quality of the beer you make and there are no scratches on the inside surface, there shouldnt be an issue.
joe

I've just retired one after 21 yrs faithful service - the lid split near the airlock hole and I can't get a replacement.
It wasn't one of my main fermenters but still got dragged out on occasion. :(

i must point out that the black plastic fermenters seem to have held up better over the years than the white plastic ones. the white ones go brittle in sunlight.
they're cheap as piss so the more the merrier. i just have to work out what to do with the free doorstops they insist in giving away with the fermenter.
also, as mentioned, it's the beer stone residue i'm worried about infection wise, not the plastic itself.

I think I can beat you all. I started brewing kit and kilos in my grandfathers hand-me-down plastic fermenter. I'm almost 30, and I'm pretty sure it would have to be older than I am :p . Boy this thing is brown. I wish they were like BBQs and the brown scumm added to the flavour.

Needless to say, it is now retired, but I still have it.

i just have to work out what to do with the free doorstops they insist in giving away with the fermenter.

Dissolve in hot water and add to the compost, the microbes will love it.

really?
i thought it would ferment, then turn to vinegar and acidify the soil?

so i can chuck wort in the compost?

I think I can beat you all. I started brewing kit and kilos in my grandfathers hand-me-down plastic fermenter. I'm almost 30, and I'm pretty sure it would have to be older than I am :p . Boy this thing is brown. I wish they were like BBQs and the brown scumm added to the flavour.

Needless to say, it is now retired, but I still have it.
:icon_offtopic:

Proudly taking it astray...

but thought better of it

I'll make a new thread.

InCider

Back