Plastic Conical Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
come on we need a guineapig on this ... Pistolpatch ??

:beer:

I have this Friday off, so I was thinking of going out to check them out, if i have the motovation that is. but I think that I may be lacking the funds to buy one, or if I do it will be Vegimite toasties of the rest of the week! :(

It's been a month so time to give this a bump.

Anyone in W.A. got one of these yet?

Luke

Still thinking about going down, I have a day RDO due next week, so I will have to go down with a friend, only thing is that i measured it up and its 5cm to wide for my frigde :(

I talked about it with Roy and he says that he has something in the pipeline, but i guess he is like me, that is having heaps of other things to do, that get in the way of brewing :(

and i have had an idea of using an old 50l keg and getting an S/S funnel welded onto the bottom and making that into a fermenter, just have to find the right size funnel, and should be pretty easy from there. :huh:

There is a new pic in the Gallery of a plastic conical with a little yarn by : lookout ?? but I haven't read any or found any indepth topic or reply from him about its origin or usefullness.. ??

What a groovy looking gadget that is !!! The V-vessel could find a home in many setups, if doing single batches that is!

Grab

There is a new pic in the Gallery of a plastic conical with a little yarn by : lookout ?? but I haven't read any or found any indepth topic or reply from him about its origin or usefullness.. ??
In relation to your question on the fermenter, I had a couple manufactured to test the concept. The photo is still in the shed waiting for me to rack it into my keg. Mark 1 that you can see only has a normal plastic tap on the bottom, I installed it by tapping the bottom of the vessel and screwing it in. At this stage I haven't installed a racking arm as I am going to try to drain out the yeast untill the flow clears then rack down. I have already pulled off around 500mm of yeast and it will work well for harvesting.

I had to compromise with the shape of the fermenter and it has a step leading into the cone section, although this simplified the design of the stand which is just some MDF with a hole cut in it. The problem is that some of the yeast will be trapped on the ledge created inside, although how bad this is I will soon know. The diamater at the bottom of the cone is also a little large for the small tap and will also result in some build up.

The top of the fermenter is currently closed with only a hole drilled for the airlock and a thermocouple, on mark 2 I have cut the top off and will either ferment with it open or some type of simple lid.

Good on you Lookout .. keep us all posted on outcomes , and other proto types you build up, there is a lot of interest in the conical's ...

What ever happened to wortgames and his SS??

Lookout that looks a good setup. Please take this as constructive critisism from a fellow user of conicals. When you rack the sediment you may need to do it before you drop the temp down to clear the wort, I only say this because that bottom dump will tend to run very slowly when you are trying to rack at, say, 0 degrees compared to ambient temps. :D

Lookout that looks a good setup. Please take this as constructive critisism from a fellow user of conicals. When you rack the sediment you may need to do it before you drop the temp down to clear the wort, I only say this because that bottom dump will tend to run very slowly when you are trying to rack at, say, 0 degrees compared to ambient temps. :D
Thanks Razz, the size of the tap doesn't help also, managed to rack the yeast off without too much problem although only slowly and the raking into the keg went well with a good clear flow. Very happy with the first run, some minor mods then a stout I think...

A MASTER brewer much wiser than I once said about cylindro's;

"Why? They are bloody awful!"

And as we ponder this, it is time for a beer made in a dish bottomed fermenter that has cleared out beautifully without the need for a 70 slant which increases the amount of beer wasted and if heaven forbid your using the tank as a uni tank, you are happy to leave your beer in contact with the yeast for too long with the expected gains defeated by loss - contact time with yeast is the thing a cylindro is proposed to prevent but infact perpetuates?

Man has survived for thousands of years without cylindro's, why ruin a good thing now?

Crap i hope that didnot come over snippy and snipe as other craftbrewers take pleasure in... i just hate the idea...

rant off, beer tap on...

Well, /// (is that how U pronounce it?)...

You really turned me off cylindro's.

But I assume that a S/S fermentor is OK, with a domed bottom perhaps?
I might see MHB about some of those S/S vessels he's putting together.
Hmm, maybe when I get some Strisselspalt...

No affiliation, no retaliation, but I do shop there.
My car has almost recovered from carrying all those BJCP guys in it to the shop, the other night. First time I've had the tyres scrape out on the 'guards, I'll tell ya. :rolleyes:

Seth out :p

Latest posts

Back