Planet Beer - The Beer Show

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ..Dreambout..
Guess i will have to unplug the CRYSTAL RADIO Now..... :lol:
Been searching everywhere for a podcast
CHEERS
pj

poppa joe said:
Sorry to ask fellas...BUT WHAT IS A PODCAST????????:huh:

A podcast is like a downloadable radio program. Often you use a program downloads the latest versions for you.

A good place to start is to go to these sites:

http://radio.craftbrewer.org/
or http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive.php
or
http://www.basicbrewing.com

You can just look for the MP3 files, download them and play them.

If you are feeling more advanced, then you can go to:

http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/

You can then download juice receiver which will automatically download podcasts for you - and often do them late at night - or when you might not be using the computer.

Send a PM if you need more info.

linqkster said:
I found it while checking... They...They...Their stuff...I think we should support them... they publish..I think they...They are going...so I'm going to go and check them out.
[post="118556"][/post]​

Advice - just say that you are affiliated, for christ's sake. What were you thinking, that that bit of codswallop about how great a show was would go down well?

Why don't you try to get to a homebrew championship somewhere so you can see some decent beer that's not crapped out from the halls of CUB?

Thanks JAGUNGAL
Not really up to speed on Podcasts etc...Will try and see what they are all about...Cheers
PJ

linqkster,
Good on your for owning up. All I can say is that others have advertised thier podcasts here and other places and they seem to be well received in most cases. I am always keen to hear about a new beer podcast as many others are.

I have a feeling you are not sure what the podcast is about .. you want beer in it to attract advertisters but you also want education in it to attract people while at the same time trying to cater for both brewers and those that are happy to drink mega swill. You seemed to be torn between the differeing needs of your users and advertiseres.

It is interesting the money side of things, I think like many things you have to enjoy doing what you are doing first - if you can make it pay for itself then great but man you have a lot of competition and like someone else said - they are mega beer enthusiasts and really just enjoy what they are doing. Integrity, personality and passion for what you are doing helps a lot.

May I also suggest you go out and try home brewing again if you really like your beer - come back here or into the chat channel if you have any problems. It really not that hard, very addictive and you end up with great beers most of the time. You venture into the home brew club should be interesting - I am sure they can help you out.
\
Good luck .. might try the show in a month or so to see if it has changed.

Hi All, thanks for your comments, good and bad.

It wasn't until our second podcast was up that we found out that out "Beer Expert" was not as much as an expert as we were lead to believe.

That is why we have made a rule for the show that when we talk serious about beer, we only talk to REAL experts. We have 2 regular experts on the show now. One is Brennan Fielding Head Brewer for Oxford 152 and judge at the Australian Beer awards. He was the one that notified me about our first experts non- expertise.

When we don't have an expert on the show we will review it as total amateurs that we are and not try and be experts.

I will try the home brew again. I cracked open one that has been downstairs in a box for about a year and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. Still had that Home Brew taste that you get from out of the can brews. I guess the more I learn the better it will get.

Thanks

J:)

I will have another listen to the later shows then .. sounds like the first one was not what the show was about.

As for your brew .. well a year old brew is not going to be the best, especially if it is a lighter brew. From the first podcast I picked up that it was also over carbonated - this may indicate that it got an infection which would definitely affect the taste. Consider tossing it.

What type was it ??

Not sure where you are .. but maybe try again. I would maybe suggest one of the all extract kits for a starter - something like the country brewer wet paks are an excellent choice for a kit brew or maybe the ESB 3kg kits. I know I always say this but fresh wort kits are also excellent if you can get them.

When you do the brew, maybe try to use a fresh yeast or at least one of the saf types - then brew it at proper temperatures - keep the temperature right down to it's recommended temps especially at the start of the brew. As usual be extremely anal over all sanitation of everything.

Do this and you should be able to pull out a pretty nice beer that will taste better than all of the VB type beers you will run into - then you definitely have a talking point on the show :)

The first brew I made has been thrown away, thank god.

The next we did was a Coopers Lager I think??? :huh:

I did go and do a story on the Brew-4-U micro brewery where you get to make the beer yourself and we made a Creamy Porter which was very popular with my friends. It was very dark and had a coffee after taste. I'm guessing that is because of the dark roasted something i put in.

It is a lot of fun going to a place like that. Great to try some of the other brews.

It's funny how most people tend to make the boring Mexicana which is a copy of Corona. They think that that is a bit exotic ;) ahhhh... some day they will learn.

I too might tune in later if what I listened to isn't the direction you saw the program heading and you've now appointed a recognised expert beer taster.

I'm glad you've apologised for your initial actions. As I said, we're a great bunch of girls and guys who want to see more people enjoy great beer, whether it be homebrewed, microbrewed or even megabrewed. We do forgive ;)

As a suggestion, point your browser to www.ratebeer.com for ideas on highly recommended beers which you may want to sample.

As for your homebrewing exploits, have another go. If you can get your hands on an ESB fresh wort kit (mentioned by Jagungal above) try that. In order to get a very palatable beer, all you have to do is add a couple of litres of water and pitch some good yeast (Try a SafAle) and ferment at around 20C. Don't ever ferment kits at the recommended higher 20'sC temps as you'll get off flavours. Don't bottle until at least 2 weeks have elapsed since pitching either.

Come in to the forums occasionally, ask some questions, try some stuff out and ask more questions. Before long you'll be hooked like we are, and will be sourcing all manner of stainless paraphernalia!

:chug:

Really excellent posts, Jagungal and linqkster. Conflict resolved with style. :super:

too right, this could have just become a slagging match but now looks like we have another brewer coming back onboard

welcome back to the homebrewing fold :)

Planet Beer. The Beer Show. Really ??? Sounded more like fluff (crap) morning radio.
Not directed at all at the home/craft brew community which explains the previous comments in this thread.
If you are going to do a show about beer, those presenting the show need to know their subject matter.
40 minute show with approx 3 minutes even discussing (although not insightlful) the two beers they were showcasing.

The host on the Boh Pils. What do you rate it ? 2 for the label, and 1 for the 5c refund on the bottle in SA.

Has promise and potential, but not directed at this community at all. If you want to bring in the home/craftbrew segment, then a big change of focus and a lot more experience required.

Beers,
Doc

Some excellent suggestions... thank you for that.

That is exactly what I'm after.

The show is it's very early days remember. Other shows like our friends from the Good Beer Show in US are upto their 68th show!

I think by then we should have pretty much nutted out the show to what the listeners want and that is what we will give them....of course with aussie humour thrown in.

Yes DOC I know what you mean by the Boh Pils review by Walt (the Host) It wasn't a real review of the product. I wasnt real reviews, not attempted comedy or just trying to please the sponsors.

If they don't like it, I've told them to say so. Honest options it what I think people want to know. That being said, it is still just an oppinion and people should give it a go and make their own judgement on the stuff.

It is difficult to have a balanced show that is entertaining and educational, but we will get there.

Our next step is to maybe move the show onto a national radio station so we can reach the whole country and not exclude the non ipod people. Podcasting is just 18 months old. New technology, so I will need time to grow.

Already in USA 1% of households listen to podcasts....That's a shit load of people for something that in only a baby.

I will make a huge effort to include more tech info about brewing. Please give suggestion on what we can talk about.

Please remember that if for some reason we don't have a REAL beer expert on the show, we will not talk about the tech side for fear of pissing you guys off. I'd rather not speak about it until someone knows what they are talking about.

So please don't bag the show if an episode doesn't talk about brewing in detail. Kepp listening and we will have something on later shows.

I have put out a request for an expert home brewer in the Brisbane area to be a regular on the show, so if you know anyone?..... email [email protected] or if you have any feedback or suggestion onmaking the show better email [email protected]

Sorry about the War & Peace posting ;)

Cheers :party:

Ok I had a listen to the podcast last night after reading the Courier Mail review yesterday. I listened to the Oxford 152 episode and found it entertaining. It wasn't really informative for me, given the amount of research I've done into beer and the number of beers I've drunk at the Oxford, but I can see it would indeed be informative for a large majority of listeners. Discussing the differences between light lagers, dark lagers and stout was great and I found it refreshing that some common misconceptions were "outed".

It was the first podcast I've ever listened to and I was impressed. I will probably keep listening to them if the show keeps up the humpor, as well as some serious beer reviews and some homebrewing segments. Regular special guest brewers and maybe some "famous" home brewers (eg Paul Mercurio) would improve the standards of the show, too.

Good luck guys.

Cheers - Snow.

Snow said:
Ok I had a listen to the podcast last night after reading the Courier Mail review yesterday. I listened to the Oxford 152 episode and found it entertaining. It wasn't really informative for me, given the amount of research I've done into beer and the number of beers I've drunk at the Oxford, but I can see it would indeed be informative for a large majority of listeners. Discussing the differences between light lagers, dark lagers and stout was great and I found it refreshing that some common misconceptions were "outed".

It was the first podcast I've ever listened to and I was impressed. I will probably keep listening to them if the show keeps up the humpor, as well as some serious beer reviews and some home's
Good luck guys.

Cheers - Snow.
[post="124084"][/post]​

Thanks Snow,

What we are now doing is pre-recording a lot of the interesting and important beer stuff and then in serting them into post production. That way we fullfill our beer quota per episode and allows us to have more fun knowing we have not ignored why we started the show in th efirst place.

Funny you mentioned Paul Mercerio cause I'v been speaking to him and we will have himon the show to talk about his brew Merc's Own, right after dancing with the Stars is over.

Please tell all your friends about the show ;) We are heading to Melbourne soon to do some shows and we are also doing a show from a home brewers home bar that I met via this forum

Cheers

linqkster said:
Snow said:

It was the first podcast I've ever listened to and I was impressed. I will probably keep listening to them if the show keeps up the humpor, as well as some serious beer reviews and some home's
Good luck guys.

Cheers - Snow.
[post="124084"][/post]​

Thanks Snow,

What we are now doing is pre-recording a lot of the interesting and important beer stuff and then in serting them into post production. That way we fullfill our beer quota per episode and allows us to have more fun knowing we have not ignored why we started the show in th efirst place.

Funny you mentioned Paul Mercerio cause I'v been speaking to him and we will have himon the show to talk about his brew Merc's Own, right after dancing with the Stars is over.

Please tell all your friends about the show ;) We are heading to Melbourne soon to do some shows and we are also doing a show from a home brewers home bar that I met via this forum

Cheers

[post="124402"][/post]​

Excellent! Sounds like you're on the right track!

Best of luck - Snow.

Back