Pizzed Off

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zabond

Reaction score
First go at KEGGING read forced carb method above three times set off to do my first keg,transfered brew out of second fermenter cold conditioned 3 days 4* conected gas to outlet start to set to 300 kpa brew goes everyware!! out of disconect,try again same senario,conect gas to gas inlet gas pisses out,hmm ok try gassing empty keg[bought two kegs]gas still pisses out totally stumped ,rang up suplier and guess what? they forgot to put tho "O RINGS"on the keg posts!!as a newbie I didn't know what was sposed to be where[or not]but now beer all over shed not much gas left & 4 day wait for new "O RINGS"I'm a bit PISSED OFF!!!"sorry bout the rant but as a newbie this was a total let down as to my first Kegging experiance :angry: so to any other newbies check-double check and dont trust any supplier that everything is right to go
Russ

Brew going everywhere not good indeed. :(

Getting my kegs this Wed, cant wait. Will definately be getting my mate who kegs to come around to show me how it all works...

:icon_offtopic: Plus my IPA will only have the yeast added tomorrow morning once it cools down enough...! Hence will have to wait 2 weeks till beer gets into kegs. Should've made it earlier, work getting in the way...

my first experience was the same, poppet wasn't even sealed properly as it wasn't seated correctly, beer sprayed in my eyes and up the roof at 300kPA. Not a pleasant experience :)

mate, go to bunnings and get O rings for garden hose. same size. cheap and you don't have to wait four days.

Cheers,
Bud

I got my keg and gas last weekend and plan to keg next weekend. I found a good section in homebrewing for dummies that deals with pulling the keg apart and checking all the seals. If you can get your hands on it, its a good simple guide. I would also recommended pressure testing the keg for 24hours to see if it holds a constant pressure (10 PSI is what i used).

Mate, I dont understand why you would get kegs and just proceed to fill them, really should be pulling them apart and greasing o-rings, cleaning(just to be sure) sanitising and just checking how they all work first.. Dont trust where they come from to be ready to go...

Thats the problem when people buy them off ebay or starter kits from somewhere, they really want to make a sale for a basic set-up, what about the lube(for sealing), cleaning and sanitising them? These people dont tell you those things as that then just makes it dearer and then you may be hesitant to buy..

Kegs are still like anything in the brewery, suseptable(is that right spelling) to infections..

Do the research first and like anything, you shouldnt have any issues to much.. ;)

Mate, I dont understand why you would get kegs and just proceed to fill them,
IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND

what about the lube(for sealing),

Lube isn't for sealing, O rings do that. Lube just makes it easier to put the post into the Quick Disconnect. Kinda like lube does for other things as well.
ohmy.gif

Kegs are still like anything in the brewery, suseptable(is that right spelling) to infections..

no, it's not

Do the research first and like anything, you shouldnt have any issues to much.. ;)

do you mean "you shouldn't have too many issues?

Do the research first

Agreed.

Obviously not a good supplier which bites, but a little sloppy on your research there bud....

Every new encounter I have taken on of late, I have searched and read up on to the point it is almost de ja ve first... I have done it in my head so many times....

Anyway, SO easy in hind sight!!

I am sure you will get the keg/s under control and trust me, life will be better!! :icon_cheers:

Happy brewing!

Has he coined the, 'Russ Method of forced carbonation?' :p

reVox

Lube isn't for sealing, O rings do that. Lube just makes it easier to put the post into the Quick Disconnect. Kinda like lube does for other things as well

Helps create a better seal ;)

no, it's not

Suseptible?? :)

do you mean "you shouldn't have too many issues?

Yes..

clean brewer-I did clean & sanitize, checked lid seal[new lid seal fitted]half filled with boiling water and shook the crap out of them to build up pressure and checked for leaks but did not know that posts had to have "o rings"I do now!!
ya live & learn
Russ- off to local hardware for hose washers[thanks Bud]

Back