Pizza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sir, are a freaking genius. So how was it?

Just thought I would put a few pics up of the woodfired pizzas we have done lately.

295fz8y.jpg

dlokex.jpg

znrl3l.jpg

Loving the woodfired oven.

Cheers

Sully

I just smoked a nice chicken breast that I've had curing and thought why not make a pizza!

chicken.jpg

Smoked chicken, sweet chilli relish, jalapeno and fresh tomato. Nearly everything on it homemade or home grown :icon_cheers:

Not the most professional looking pizza but tasty!

pizza.jpg

I put together some pizzas on the weekend using some of my re-cultured US05 for the yeast with excellent results. It didn't rise as much as the usual bakers yeast, but gave the crust a much less bready flavour.

Has anyone tried any other yeasts with success (or failure)?

I am looking for some help from you experienced pizza makers. I use a pizza stone but have a problem. I roll my dough out on a well floured wooden paddle, then add the topping. My problem is getting the pizza onto the stone, it never slides easily and I usually end up with the back end of the pizza piled up. How do I get that sucker to slide evenly?

When you say you roll your dough out on the peel, do you mean you actually shape it by rolling it out with a pin on the peel?
If so you would be better off shaping your pizza on a counter, other board etc (preferably by stretching and pressing than rolling, got some pics of how I shape the base here) and then putting it on your floured peel and topping it. Don't leave it sitting on the peel for too long, at least until you get a feel for it.

Before you slide the pizza off the peel you can check that it hasn't stuck down by holding the peel flat on a counter and giving it a shake back and forth, starting very gently so you don't disturb the toppings. The pizza should move freely on the peel - if it doesn't you'll need to fix where it has stuck before you slide it in. If it is just a damp spot you can carefully lift an edge and rub a bit of flour under where it has stuck. If it isn't stuck too badly you can increase the shaking back and forth slowly and that will often be enough to unstick it. If it is stuck all over you need to either use a drier dough or make sure the base has more flour on the outside before you put it on the peel. Another thing you can try is using rice flour or semolina on your peel to help the dough slide off - both are less sticky than plain flour.

I am looking for some help from you experienced pizza makers. I use a pizza stone but have a problem. I roll my dough out on a well floured wooden paddle, then add the topping. My problem is getting the pizza onto the stone, it never slides easily and I usually end up with the back end of the pizza piled up. How do I get that sucker to slide evenly?
corn meal... throw that down first. its like edible ball bearings. Do you brush the top of your crust with olive oil? That also helps keep wet ingredients from seeping through and making the bottom stick.

I love sliced garlic a fresh cracked black pepper on pizza

corn meal... throw that down first. its like edible ball bearings. Do you brush the top of your crust with olive oil? That also helps keep wet ingredients from seeping through and making the bottom stick.

I love sliced garlic a fresh cracked black pepper on pizza
yep. I use coarse ground semolina which does the same as the corn meal. Fine ground works too, but the coarse ground is nicer on the palate.

Yup corn meal rocks for pizza. I put it on the workbench to keep it from sticking whilst im making the other pizzas, no need for flour.

you don't wash your pizza stone, do you?

They are like cast iron, they need to be seasoned

No, I have never washed my stone. Thanks for the tips fellas, I can see the next one sliding off like a ship down a slipway

I just clean the top of the stone with a wet cloth to remove any food etc. You need to put the stone in the oven afterward to dry and sanitize. Pizza stones are porous and can harber bacteria in the crevices that's why its recommended not to wash by immersing in water, as the water will assist in bacteria growth. I normally sprinkle some flour on the stone before use to help the pizza slide off and makes it easier to clean afterwards.

I use baking paper under the pizza (I have one of those little electric pizza cookers, not as nice as wood fired but a hell of a lot easier)
I usualy pull it out from under the pizza after it crusts up a little

Got a couple of pizza dough balls slowly fermenting in the fridge as per Jeff Varasano's method

Ive always just made them a few hours before cooking so im curious to see the difference in texture and taste, as they werent producing the large open air pockets in the crust and it was far too uniform of a colour for my likings...

Quite different working with such a wet dough though. I only did a small batch as its just for myself and my partner, so theres only a couple of small-ish pizza's worth of dough in two seperate containers.

Made the dough on tuesday night, and will be using them tomorrow night, so we'll see how the old 3 day cold fermenting pizza doughs turn out

I probably shouldnt have such high hopes, but I'm quite looking forward to using them.

Sponge

Got a couple of pizza dough balls slowly fermenting in the fridge as per Jeff Varasano's method

Ive always just made them a few hours before cooking so im curious to see the difference in texture and taste, as they werent producing the large open air pockets in the crust and it was far too uniform of a colour for my likings...

Quite different working with such a wet dough though. I only did a small batch as its just for myself and my partner, so theres only a couple of small-ish pizza's worth of dough in two seperate containers.

Made the dough on tuesday night, and will be using them tomorrow night, so we'll see how the old 3 day cold fermenting pizza doughs turn out

I probably shouldnt have such high hopes, but I'm quite looking forward to using them.

Sponge
cold fermenting pizza dough is talked about in this thread. its awsome. nice slightly tart chewy dough. it makes the whole making pizza thing a little easier, as you can spend a few hours making dough, then leave in fridge and then only spend a short amoutn of time making pizza, as opposed to spending like 3-4 hours in one hit making pizza. it stretchs it out a bit more (pun intended)

Latest posts

Back