Pizza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 9 weeks of trial and error Im getting close. Thanks to all who have post their tips and tricks in this thread.

Pizza.JPG

Made fresh Pizza the other night. fresh made sause from onion, garlic, tomatoe, basil and oregano boiled down till thick.... and left chunky :super:

Ham and cheese for the kids

Hamandcheese1728x1152.jpg

A couple of different ones.

One with Bacon cooked in rosmary and garlic, cooked mushrooms, fresh oregano flowers and fresh Bocconcini (right)

Other one with shreaded fresh Prosciutto, seeded whole black olives, cherry toms, fresh basil leaves and fresh Bocconcini (left)

we couldnt wait when they came out and i took a pic mid feeding frenzy.

I have been asked to make a heap of them for people coming to my kidds bday next weekend so i will be going back through this thread for inspiration :)

othjerpizzas1728x1152.jpg

With the left over dough....... i made a frw rolls. shaped the mup, let them sit for 10 min and thought.... bugger yas, in the oven you go. THey rose like little champs! they were yummy too.

breadrolls1728x1152.jpg

Now im looking back as i recal instructions on making a brick, wood fired pizza oven on here somewhere. I mentioned it to the wife and she said........... sounds like a good idea :blink:

GREEN LIGHT PEOPLE................ GREEEEEEEEEEEEEN LIGHT :icon_cheers:

Made fresh Pizza the other night. fresh made sause from onion, garlic, tomatoe, basil and oregano boiled down till thick.... and left chunky :super:

Ham and cheese for the kids

Hamandcheese1728x1152.jpg

A couple of different ones.

One with Bacon cooked in rosmary and garlic, cooked mushrooms, fresh oregano flowers and fresh Bocconcini (right)

Other one with shreaded fresh Prosciutto, seeded whole black olives, cherry toms, fresh basil leaves and fresh Bocconcini (left)

we couldnt wait when they came out and i took a pic mid feeding frenzy.

I have been asked to make a heap of them for people coming to my kidds bday next weekend so i will be going back through this thread for inspiration :)

othjerpizzas1728x1152.jpg

With the left over dough....... i made a frw rolls. shaped the mup, let them sit for 10 min and thought.... bugger yas, in the oven you go. THey rose like little champs! they were yummy too.

breadrolls1728x1152.jpg

Now im looking back as i recal instructions on making a brick, wood fired pizza oven on here somewhere. I mentioned it to the wife and she said........... sounds like a good idea :blink:

GREEN LIGHT PEOPLE................ GREEEEEEEEEEEEEN LIGHT :icon_cheers:

congrats on the green light - cant wait for that post! pizzas look great, bread rolls look great and your shun knife in the back ground looks great!

congrats on the green light - cant wait for that post! pizzas look great, bread rolls look great and your shun knife in the back ground looks great!
Seconded. I introduced swmbo to the shun knives at the shops the other day and may be slowly turning her on to them... I'm a sucker for demascus steel. :wub:

Thanks guys :)

:icon_offtopic:

I have 3 Shun's. They are bloody scary at first but once you slice youself a few times, you learn what not do do with them. Usually bad habits learnt using normal knives that wont remove limbs without you feeling it.

Bonj....... try this site. I got mine from here and they are MUCH cheaper than in the shops! I priced the one in the pic at King of knives for $355 and got it for $192 here.

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Produ...93&bid=SHUN

There not Demascus steel. here is a description from the site:

The blade is made from VG-10 high-carbon stainless steel, covered with sixteen layers of stainless steel alloyon each side, which gives it its distinctive rippled Damascus look.

I worked with some very experienced metalurgists while in PNG mid year and they use no other knife. They said this grade of steel will stay sharp for years if you use it on timber block and dont chop bones and stuff. Mine gets constant use and still as sharp as new. It falls through food almost under its own weight. I will take a pic of mine and post em up later if you want. Might make a new thread to keep it on topic.

cheers

Thanks guys :)

:icon_offtopic:

I have 3 Shun's. They are bloody scary at first but once you slice youself a few times, you learn what not do do with them. Usually bad habits learnt using normal knives that wont remove limbs without you feeling it.

Bonj....... try this site. I got mine from here and they are MUCH cheaper than in the shops! I priced the one in the pic at King of knives for $355 and got it for $192 here.

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Produ...93&bid=SHUN

There not Demascus steel. here is a description from the site:

The blade is made from VG-10 high-carbon stainless steel, covered with sixteen layers of stainless steel alloyon each side, which gives it its distinctive rippled “Damascus” look.

I worked with some very experienced metalurgists while in PNG mid year and they use no other knife. They said this grade of steel will stay sharp for years if you use it on timber block and dont chop bones and stuff. Mine gets constant use and still as sharp as new. It falls through food almost under its own weight. I will take a pic of mine and post em up later if you want. Might make a new thread to keep it on topic.

cheers
Thanks, Tony. I was aware that they weren't true Demascus as they're stainless... but they are made from multiple layers like Demascus (and have a high carbon content, like demascus), and they look like Demascus... best of both worlds?

The hard work done on Australia Day! Man they where good! :icon_drool2:

Note to anyone with a hooded bbq that can get it up to 250deg.

- Get yourself a sandstone paver ($6 bucks at bunnings) and pop it on the grill and close the lid.
- Turn on all burners until you hit 250deg (and the stone is 250deg constant, most importantly).
- Turn off the burners below the stone and keep the ones to the side of it going while the pizzas cook @ 250deg~.
- Wait 10 mins and they are done!

Almost a near perfect environment for pizza making and the results are shown below. (Photos taken from my housemates bookface)

Working the dough into rounds before their final proof.

dough.jpg

SWMBO's pizza - Italian sausage meatballs, roasted capsicum, olives, prosciutto, goats cheese, basil and fior di latte

pizza.jpg

Leftovers pizza - Uber thin crust, everything SWMBO has w/ shalotts but forgot the basil

leftovers.jpg

Cheers! :beerbang:

Yea I got given a pizza stone by one of my mates, I use it in the bbq quite often makes some bloody good pizzas, even when Im lazy and just throw it in the oven it is a noticeable improvement over a regular oven tray.

Yea I got given a pizza stone by one of my mates, I use it in the bbq quite often makes some bloody good pizzas, even when Im lazy and just throw it in the oven it is a noticeable improvement over a regular oven tray.

i used todo pizzas in the oven w/pizza stone as i use the stone primarily for baking bread on. I was tempted to build a pizza oven of sorts but now, i certainly wont be doing it until im in my own house and not renting!

i used todo pizzas in the oven w/pizza stone as i use the stone primarily for baking bread on. I was tempted to build a pizza oven of sorts but now, i certainly wont be doing it until im in my own house and not renting!

+1

Once SWMBO and I have got our own home a pizza oven will be a must have item to compliment beer and pizza night which is every Friday night. :beerbang:

Great pictures guys :D

Edit: Can't splell

Built my own oven from Rado Hand's plans http://www.traditionaloven.com/ This was my first attempt at laying bricks. Plan came with CD including nearly 1,000 'photos. Very happy with the results. Was supposed to render the lot but SWAMBO said she liked it as it is. Takes about 1.5 hours to get floor to 400 deg.C Usually cooks a pizza in 90 seconds.

DSC02604a.jpg

DSC02604a.jpg

195_26_February_2008a.jpg

DSC02398a.jpg

DSC02399a.jpg

Built my own oven from Rado Hand's plans http://www.traditionaloven.com/ This was my first attempt at laying bricks. Plan came with CD including nearly 1,000 'photos. Very happy with the results. Was supposed to render the lot but SWAMBO said she liked it as it is. Takes about 1.5 hours to get floor to 400 deg.C Usually cooks a pizza in 90 seconds.

holy smokes! how long did that project take to complete!?! did you have a few helpers on hand?!

This was my first attempt at laying bricks.
but obviously not a tool tard like myself... that looks awesome. Were there any council hoops to jump through, or do they not care?

About three months on and off to complete Dec/Jan/Febin the rain, I had to rig a tarp over. No council approvals required - not a dwelling. However, if you had it attached to the house or built internal then I suspect approval may apply here.

HD

Pfft councils.

Looks like a great pizza oven. I've spent many hours looking at Rado's site.
Getting my hands on refractory bricks and cement seems to be the biggest problem though.

Pfft councils.

Getting my hands on refractory bricks and cement seems to be the biggest problem though.

Komodo, email Rado and tell him where you live and he will tell you where to get refractories, second-hand timber for templates etc and second-hand tiles.

Pfft councils.

I agree, but since I have a small yard, I don't want some nosy neighbour dobbing me in to the council in the future and wrecking all my hard work.

Pfft councils.

let me know what you find Komo. Im thinking of knocking one up myself.

Latest posts

Back