Pizza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wood oven isn't done yet but I'd say it depends how sticky your dough is. If it is more of a normal dough consistency usually it's enough to just have a light coating of flour. Basically I have a peel made of a square of plywood with a little handle cut out. I flour my dough ball, press it out to the pizza shape, then scatter some polenta on my peel and flip the dough onto it. Then I add toppings and just slide the whole pizza off onto my pizza stone.

Thanks Tim, I had another go last weekend and dusted the trays first with flour instead of the olive oil, then half cooked the pizzas on the trays. They were then firm enough to pull out and finish on the stone. Was quite happy the result, crunchy base that held up quite well.

Oh yeah and here's how the oven is going :)

Yeah yeah , whatever....... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Finished off the oven (well enough to get it working, lots of cosmetic stuff left to do) and made some pizzas tonight. I only got one photo, of the last one. This was zucchini, onion, olives & chicken/pine nut sausage pieces, with rosemary. They were all pretty decent but I think I will get better with practice ;)

Woo__13_of_16_.jpg

Woo__1_of_16_.jpg

Woo__4_of_16_.jpg

Finished off the oven (well enough to get it working, lots of cosmetic stuff left to do) and made some pizzas tonight. I only got one photo, of the last one. This was zucchini, onion, olives & chicken/pine nut sausage pieces, with rosemary. They were all pretty decent but I think I will get better with practice ;)
That looks fantastic, Tim! You photos are great... they've got me wanting a pizza oven again... If only I could find some space for it. Front yard? :p

And I just checked the exif data on one of them, and now I'm even more jealous... :icon_drool2:

Yeah go on, whack it in the front yard... no-one will notice ;)

Had some time today so fired up the oven.
First pizza of the rank. Next few are lined up.

pizza.jpg

looks absolutely delicious Tim. How is the Canon EOS 5D btw? seems to take decent photos there :D

IMG_0418.JPG

Another beautiful pizza... perfect base...

Chilli pineapple base... bacon, mushroom, egg and cheese .... mmmmmmmmmmm

home made of cause... would love a pizza oven...

Looks fantastic...and that base does indeed look perfect. :super:

I haven't bought pizza for well over a year - home made is just soooo much better

View attachment 26096

Another beautiful pizza... perfect base...

Chilli pineapple base... bacon, mushroom, egg and cheese .... mmmmmmmmmmm

home made of cause... would love a pizza oven...

Looks nice Katie.

Can you post or PM me the base recipe please :)

:beer:

And another shot for the pizza lovers.

Fired up the oven last week and cooked up a feast.

pizza.JPG

That is a thing of beauty and to think, its not that far away from me ;)

AMB meeting at your place Tim?

Looks nice Katie.

Can you post or PM me the base recipe please :)

:beer:
Another request for base recipe...
ANy others welcome too...
Our new oven has a pizza stone. It isn't a flashy outside pizza oven but it sure crisps up the bases nicely...

That is a thing of beauty and to think, its not that far away from me ;)

AMB meeting at your place Tim?

Wouldn't mind cooking up a pizza feast actually but I have a bit of landscaping to do first before I'm allowed to let anyone see our back yard ;)

btw if anyone is interested I've started a pizza blog, hoping to make it a good home made pizza resource so shoot me any ideas or feedback!
Home made pizza blog

Another request for base recipe...
ANy others welcome too...
Our new oven has a pizza stone. It isn't a flashy outside pizza oven but it sure crisps up the bases nicely...

Ah you can cook a great pizza in a normal oven all ours are! though I would love a pizza oven. Lloydie has all the receipes in his head I there different all the time! The picture above is mixture of sourdough and normal bread from memory!

Here's my recipe

500g strong bread flour
2 level teaspoons dried yeast
2 level teaspooons salt
2 tbsp olive oil
300mL tepid water

mix all ingredients together (no need to prove the yeast). Develop the glutens. I don't knead, I follow the French method of stretching by swinging the dough up and slamming down on the workspace, then stretching it towards you and fold it over on itself... and repeat until it's smooth and no longer sticks to the bench (method can be found in Crust (and probably Dough) by Richard Bertinet). I work with a fairly wet dough and use a scraper to scrape the straggling bits back into the dough. Preheat oven to 250C (highest setting on my oven). Prove for 1 hour (in warm (25-30C) draught free place (unpowered microwave)), fold back, roll out to about 3/4cm thick.

Makes 2 pizzas

my favourite toppings (in order top to base)

~90g proscuitto, ripped
200g grated mozzarella
4-5 basil leaves, ripped
~2 tbspn tomato paste

bake at 240C for ~9 minutes

Back